Chapter 3

Jennie pulled up outside Rosé and Jisoo's house and put the car in park, climbing out and walking up the garden path. As she raised a hand to knock, the door was yanked open, and Jennie came face to face with Jisoo, who was in the middle of tucking in her shirt.

"Captain," Jennie mocked her, giving her a lazy salute.

"Oh look, my favourite asshole," Jisoo drily replied, before turning to look inside, "I'll see you tonight." There was a moment of silence, and Jisoo rolled her eyes. "Rosé! I'm leaving."

The distant sound of Rosé replying drifted towards them, and Jennie smiled slightly, arching an eyebrow as she let herself into the house, watching as Jisoo walked to the car parked in the driveway. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do."

"I'm not stupid enough to get stabbed," Jisoo smirked as she climbed into the front seat, and Jennie could see her laughed as she flipped Jisoo off. Quietly laughing, Jennie stepped inside and shut the door behind her, stepping past the messy pile of shoes left near the door, alongside the abandoned school bags.

As she passed the bottom of the stairs, Rosé came out from the kitchen, looking flustered as she carried a basket of laundry under one arm. Seeing the mess of shoes near the door, Rosé sighed. "These bloody kids. Doyeon, will you please come and put your shoes away."

"Need a hand?" Jennie asked, taking the basket off Rosé, who gave her a grateful smile, and followed after her. She learnt against the dryer as Rosé shoved handfuls of clothes into the washing machine. "Is Doyeon still staying over tomorrow night?"

"Yeah, if that's okay. Me and Jiss are both pulling graveyard shifts," Rosé sighed.

"No problem," Jennie assured her, walking back through the house as Rosé made her way back to the kitchen. All three girls went to the same private school - the best one in Metropolis, which Rosé and Jisoo had been hesitant to agree to when Lisa and Jennie had offered to pay the hefty tuition as a gift - and they often carpooled and stayed at each other's houses to work around everyone's busy schedules. Jennie liked how close the three girls were, even if Seolhyun and Ryujin were prone to arguing a lot, which Rosé and Lisa assured her was very normal, and it made her heart feel warm to know that she finally had a normal family.

The sound of three sets of feet running downstairs reached their ears, and three teenagers appeared in the doorway, with Ryujin running over to Jennie to give her a hug. "Are you staying for a cup of coffee?" Rosé asked, setting the pot on.

"No, I'd better get home and start dinner," Jennie said, "thanks for picking the girls up. Come on you two, get your stuff."

Seolhyun and Ryujin walked out to the hallway, and Doyeon jumped up on the kitchen counters, taking an apple from the fruit bowl and taking a bite out of it. "Hey, is your homework done?" Rosé asked, prodding her daughter off the unit, and shooing her over to the table, while Jennie patiently listened to the sounds of her girls putting their shoes on as she chatted to Rosé.

"Mom," Seolhyun impatiently called, walking back into the kitchen and gesturing expectantly towards the door. Rolling her eyes, Jennie fished her keys out of her bag and moved towards the door. "Thanks Aunt Rosé," Seolhyun said, giving her an angelic smile, and Ryujin darted up the hallway to poke her head in and echo her thanks.

Shooing then both down the hallway, Jennie looked back over her shoulder and smiled at Rosé, "thanks, Rosé. I'll see you tomorrow, Doyeon."

Seeing herself out, Jennie unlocked the car and slid into the driver's seat, waiting as both girls climbed in and buckled themselves in, before she turned the key in the ignition. Pulling out onto the road, Jennie set off towards the outer limits of the city, turning the radio down as she looked at Ryujin in the rear view mirror, and Seolhyun sat in the passenger seat. "So, how was school?"