Chapter 27

"Jennie," Lisa breathlessly sobbed, her fingers shaking as she reached out to trail her fingertips along Jennie's prominent cheekbone, before she buried her face in Jennie's shoulder, listening to the shuddering breath that her wife drew in.

"Lisa," Jennie hoarsely replied, coughing slightly as she tried to clear her throat. Sitting back up, Lisa fixed her glasses as she wiped at her eyes, sobbing as she looked down at Jennie, who was frowning slightly, her eyes drifting open and closed as she tried to fight of the drugs. "Lisa... the girls- Seolhyun."

Choking on a sob of relief, Lisa gave her a shaky smile, "she's okay. You're both okay. Hang on a second, let me get a doctor."

Jumping off the bed, Lisa raced over to the door, sliding it open and calling out to the nurses station just outside, getting the attention of a doctor talking to one of the nurses. The doctor gave the order for them to page Jennie's doctor, and quickly rushed over to Lisa, following her inside. Jennie's head lolled to the side as she turned to look at her wife, a nagging feeling that she was missing something. She felt like she'd been asleep for a year, and her arms and legs were too heavy for her to lift, and her throat felt so dry and scratchy. Things were coming back to her in bits and pieces, but the overwhelming thought was of her daughter, who she'd last seen unconscious and upside down, strapped into her seat with blood running down her face. Swallowing her questions, she laid still in bed while the doctor checked her vitals, and by the time she was finished, another doctor was there, giving her a kind smile as she explained everything that happened. Jennie felt hollow at the mention of a coma, and she immediately turned to Lisa, taking in the dark circles and haunted look in her eyes, looking no different than before. It couldn't have been that long, surely.

"How long?" Jennie croaked, a tight feeling in her chest.

"Five days," Lisa said, her voice breaking as she gave Jennie a tense smile.

"Fuck," Jennie exclaimed, eliciting a surprised laugh from Lisa and Doctor Hye Kyo, "I missed your birthday."

Lisa clapped a hand over her mouth as she laughed, her eyes crinkling at the corners behind her lenses, and her breathing hitching as she shook her head. "I love you."

Closing her eyes, Jennie laughed, "yeah?"

"Yeah," Lisa shakily told her, her hands skimming over Jennie's cast on her arm, and her scabbed cheekbones and unwashed hair, "so much. I thought- god, Jennie, I've never been so scared." And then Lisa was shaking with sobs as she buried her face in Jennie's chest, her hands balled up in the thin fabric of the hospital gown, and Jennie was struggling to sit up and make her arms cooperate so that she could wrap her wife in a hug. It had been fine for her, she couldn't remember a thing, but she knew it would've been days of stress and worry for Lisa, who was already dealing with a lot anyway.

"Jennie, I'm going to need to you keep still, please," Doctor Hye Kyo told her, "you might not be able to feel it with all the medication, but you're very injured and you need to make sure you don't further hurt yourself."

Letting out a frustrated sigh, Jennie stopped straining herself as she tried to sit up, and she settled for twitching her fingers, rubbing tiny circles onto Lisa's waist, on the tiny patch of exposed skin between her shirt and jeans. Her own eyes were prickling with tears, and she couldn't focus on anything except the warmth of her wife curled up on her chest, the sounds of the doctor's words falling on deaf ears as she listened to Lisa's quiet sobs. They weren't even afforded any privacy, because there were nurses coming in to check her blood pressure, and doctors ordering tests and interns asking her questions. Lisa ended up sitting in a vinyl chair, her phone pressed to her ear as she spoke to their family, Jennie assumed, her worried blue eyes never straying from Jennie's face for even a moment. It was too far though, and too crowded, and Jennie felt suffocated and invaded as her bandages were changed and she was poked and prodded for what felt like hours, just wanting to kiss her wife the whole time.