The Queen

Kestrel landed in the sky palace behind Falcon, Robin, Peak and the other SkyWing that was with Falcon and Maroon earlier.

Maroon was next to her. Kestrel and Maroon began syncing steps almost instantly and they kept the same pace. They were both in their guard poses. They had been trained to do this since they were young but for Kestrel, doing this with Maroon was more of a treat.

Caracara and Jay landed behind them. Kestrel risked sneaking a glance behind her.

They were kissing like they would never be able to again with their eyes closed.

Kestrel quickly turned her head around and kept marching. She tried to shove the image out of her mind but it stayed. Kestrel didn't want it to.

There was roaring and cheering in the distance. Kestrel and Maroon rounded the corner and saw the stadium overflowing. How on earth were they supposed to find a seat?

"Hey," a voice behind them said.

Instantly, Kestrel and Maroon whipped around and were battle ready. Their instincts will save them one day, instead of getting them crazy looks.

Kestrel and Maroon relaxed for Robin. Robin looked terrified... so at least they were intimidating.

"The queen want you two, Peak, and myself to be guards," Robin claimed, turning around.

Of course, Kestrel never got a break.

She growled and stormed off after Peak and Maroon caught up eventually. They all walked in silence.

When the got to the platform, Robin took his place across from Peak in the back. Why did she and Maroon have to get the front?

The front was the worst place to be. Generally, there were too many guards throughout the castle for them to attack from the back, so an attack from the front was best. They could blend into the crowd of dragons as well. Also, every dragon was watching Kestrel and Kestrel was the queen's first defense.

The chatter quieted down when Scarlet came in on the platform. Her trusted advisor, Mahogany, was watching her with intensity. Scarlet probably assigned her to do all of the announcing jobs and whatnot.

"Please quiet down everyone," Mahogany asked. Slowly, the talking subsided. "So to start, since the passing of Queen Magenta and the mysterious disappearings of Queen Magenta's other daughters, it has been quite chaotic. We are only left with one heir to the throne, Princess Scarlet. It is today, that she officially becomes Queen of the SkyWings. Please give Princess Scarlet a round of applause," Mahogany claimed.

Everyone began cheering, shouting, and clapping. Kestrel saw Maroon staring intensely at something in the sky. Kestrel saw nothing.

She mouthed to him, What do you see?

He stared at her funny. Clearly he doesn't know what she had mouthed.

Kestrel tried something else. She used her left claw, facing Robin, to make a circle close to the ground. Kestrel pointed at her face, keeping her claw close to the ground. Then she pointed to the sky.

He flapped his left wings and pointed at his chest.

A flying dragon? A SkyWing not here in the arena?

He stared at the sky and she saw it this time. A red-ish SkyWing was circling above them.

Kestrel flicked Scarlet's tail with her talons and Scarlet turned around, growling and teeth barring. Kestrel pointed at the sky and Scarlet saw the red figure.

"Grab him and put him in my dungeon," she hissed before turning around.

Kestrel decided leaping off the balcony would draw too much attention to her, cause a panic, and make Scarlet upset her special moment was ruined. Kestrel nodded to Maroon and they walked away from their positions out the back. She saw Peak and Robin take their place as the crowd quieted down.

Maroon and Kestrel took off through the castle and ran until they found a door out. Kestrel pulled it open and let Maroon fly through. She darted out after him, grabbing the keys before she let the door closed.

The SkyWing saw them and flew a little closer to them. Maroon got a burst of speed and tackled the SkyWing. Kestrel grabbed the SkyWing's forearm and yanked him up. Maroon grabbed the other forearm and the SkyWing thrashed around.

Kestrel let go of him and hit him hard in the face with her tail. Then she punched him and his body went limp.

She grabbed his forearm before he dragged Maroon into the ground. Maroon stared at her in a funny way and Kestrel smiled.

Was that what she was doing? Smiling?

Kestrel, you've never smiled before and NOW YOU HAVE! she roared at herself.

She has grinned before but never had one that practically went from one ear to the other. Grinning hardly had a purpose, smiling didn't either. Waste of energy!

Kestrel went back to her normal face and Maroon looked away. Had he ever smiled before? Kestrel couldn't remember. All she knew is neither of them had but now she has.

She shook it off as they lead the prisoner up to the podiums. Kestrel wasn't sure where to put him, up here or in the dungeons. She figured up here was the best bet.

Maroon chained him up and Kestrel kept guard. She kept her back toward him the entire time.

Once Maroon finished, he and Kestrel went back to the castle. He landed and tried to pull the door open. It was locked.

Kestrel pulled out the keys and opened the door. Maroon looked embarrassed.

Kestrel put the keys back and followed Maroon back to the platform. They took their spots in te back as Scarlet was being queened.

"All hail, the new Queen of the SkyWings! Queen Scarlet!" Mahogany roared.

"All hail Queen Scarlet of the SkyWings!" the crowd cheered.

Scarlet spread her wings and the sun shone through them. It was pretty, not impressive, but pretty.

As Scarlet left the stage, she whispered in Kestrel's ear, "My throne room, midnight."

Kestrel gulped.