Assassination

Kestrel landed at the entrance of the palace and walked in, trying to look exhausted. It wasn't hard, she was, but Kestrel had to tell her anger to back off or else she'd look too confident.

She walked into the dungeon to see they've already set up, which unnerved Kestrel quite a bit. Usually, they are just finishing when Kestrel gets here.

Shortly, after the first ten whips, Kestrel refused to watch. She heard his piecing screams and it made her want to run away forever. He started screaming yesterday when they got to the final four. Today, he had been screaming the entire time.

After they finished his twentieth one, Kestrel shouted, "STOP!"

The queen looked at her in surprise and Kestrel ignored it. Enough was enough.

"May I take his place?" Kestrel asked politely.

"No, why on Pyrrhia would you think it is okay to ask that?" Scarlet demanded to know.

"Let me rephrase this, I will take his place," Kestrel snapped, giving the queen the evil eye.

"Of course not! An extra ten whips today for Maroon for Kestrel's behavior, soldier," Queen Scarlet growled as smoke began to rise from her snout.

"Yes, Your Majesty," the guard answered.

Kestrel jumped on Queen Scarlet and put a throwing star to her neck. She raked her claws along the queen's side and the queen howled in pain.

"Clearly, exhaustion has finally got the best of you," Queen Scarlet laughed. "I am the only heir to the throne, do you know what you do to the SkyWings if you killed me. It'd all be your fault... all over again."

"It... it's only YOUR fault," Kestrel roared, holding the tears back.

"It's all your fault," Queen Scarlet whispered.

Kestrel fell limp and loosened her grip on the queen. The queen managed to escape and Kestrel's head began to fog up.

My fault... my fault, she told herself over and over again.

She saw Maroon in front of her and Scarlet held a throwing star to his neck.

"This is how my guards felt when you nearly killed me. Hopeless. The only thing that's different is that, only you need him," Scarlet snarled.

"No, Maroon," Kestrel cried while getting up. Instantly, there were guards by her side, holding her back. "I love you, Maroon! Don't forget it, pig-head!"

A guard with a sword walked up to Scarlet and Scarlet release Maroon. Maroon stood, frozen, while Kestrel's guards dragged her into a cell. Maroon began to chase after Kestrel.

"Kestrel, I love--" Maroon began before the guard with the sword rushed at him.

With a quick swipe from the guard, Maroon's head rolled in front of Kestrel.