Whipping

Kestrel was exhausted and had no time to eat. She just finished her first day taking on two shifts; one for herself and one as Maroon.

At least she was making the same amount of money as she and Maroon would have.

But if he was here, she would've eaten, been less exhausted, and HE would have been here. That would have been better than one dragon making two dragon's pay.

Kestrel was too tired to go hunt or go to the market. She just wanted to sleep.

But she couldn't sleep until after Maroon's whipping which was in half an hour.

Knock, knock.

"Come in," Kestrel crocked.

"Hey," Caracara said, opening the door. "Brought you some nice roasted lamb."

Kestrel got up and grabbed the lamb gratefully. Kestrel wolfed it down and grabbed some water to drink. Thank the moons for Caracara.

Caracara was also Maroon's commander so it made it easier for Kestrel to do both jobs. Caracara also understood Kestrel's situation very well and is giving her less to do during her shifts. It was still exhausting but less exhausting then it would normally be.

"Hey, Jay and I agree we'd be willing to take one shift for you. You could have an extra two hours to rest in the morning," Caracara claimed.

"That's sweet but have you run this by the queen? I don't want you to get in trouble," Kestrel claimed, trying not to break down.

Stay strong, Kestrel reminded herself. Stay level-headed.

"No, but do we have to run it by her? We don't usually have to..." Caracara trailed off.

Kestrel shook her head. "Caracara, you and Jay can be happy. I don't want to ruin that. I ruin everything. Just you being friends with me could get you killed at this point. Anyone I have ties to is going to get hurt. I care about you and Jay too much to let you guys get hurt. Please, for my sake, treat me like a soldier."

"But I care about you too much to let you wear yourself out and do something you'll regret," Caracara stated.

"I think I've mastered the art of staying level-headed," Kestrel retorted with a snort.

"So it was a different Kestrel who attacked Peak when he tried to steal her rabbit?" Caracara asked.

Kestrel glared at her and said, "That rabbit was MINE. Peak had no reason to steal MY catch!"

"So you're a whiny dragonet now?" Caracara questioned.

"You're a dragonet," Kestrel snorted again, trying to keep from laughing.

Caracara laughed and Kestrel smiled. That was their sense of humor, insults. Why, Kestrel had absolutely no idea.

"I have to go..." Kestrel trailed off, letting her smile fade back into a frown.

"I know. Stay strong, he'll make it. He's Maroon," Caracara said with certainty.

Kestrel nodded and left her room. Kestrel walked through the dull, empty living space and walked out the front door. She jumped off the porch off her house.

She saw Caracara leave the house and shut the door behind her. Caracara took off toward her home where Jay must be waiting for her.

Kestrel had appreciated Caracara's offer but if she accepted it, it would put her and Jay at risk. Perhaps Peak and Robin as well.

She wouldn't let anyone else become hurt because of her. She refused.

The castle appeared faster than Kestrel would have liked. She didn't want to watch it nor hear it but it would probably help Maroon if she was there. They made each other stronger.

She could do it for him. If he could survive Scarlet's torture for her, she could bear watching it. Besides, knowing his condition was better than not knowing how he feels.

Kestrel took a deep breath in and let it out before entering the palace.

She immediately headed toward the dungeons, hoping to talk to him before Scarlet did anything. Before everything he was going to go through for her because he was stupid.

Lovable, but stupid.

The Queen of the SkyWings was already there with her guards and a dragon holding a whip. Maroon was chained to the wall inside his cell and there were more guards around them, blocking every entrance an exit.

This gave Kestrel a bad feeling already.

"Here she is. Won't this be thrilling?!" Scarlet exclaimed. Queen Scarlet nodded to the guard inside and the whip went up.

CRACK!

Maroon had a new wound and fresh blood rushed down his stomach. It was hard to see against his scales but Kestrel felt like she saw it perfectly.

The second blow landed on his left cheek. Maroon hadn't screamed yet. Knowing Scarlet, she would continue to beat him until he cried or screamed.

After the tenth blow had landed, the guard walked away, and left Maroon with ten bleeding wounds.

"Everyday, we'll add ten more," Scarlet informed Kestrel as the guards put the chains on Maroon again. The dragon who whipped him made sure to put the wounds where it would hurt the worst: where the metal bound Maroon.

"What can I do to make it stop?" Kestrel demanded, staring Scarlet in the eyes.

"Nothing. You work, he suffers until one of you breaks. Whoever breaks... well, you'll find out," Scarlet growled with a grin. "Don't worry, I'll ask Commander Caracara to give you a hard time."

Kestrel went home, feeling hopeless and defeated. She hated it but what could she do?

She was going to assassinate the Queen of the SkyWings.