The Talons of Peace

"Here we are," Asha claimed as they walked into the fairly large cave.

Kestrel looked around and saw SeaWings, SandWings, MudWings, a SkyWing, and an IceWing. 

Good news, there were no lazy RainWings or nosy NightWings. Kestrel may just enjoy this place.

"Let's take you to meet Nautilus," Asha said, walking further back toward the cave. 

The Talons of Peace seemed small. Then again, Kestrel wasn't surprised. Queens rarely banished subjects and dragons usually don't runaway from their tribes.

Asha turned a corner and they found Nautilus' room. Kestrel was surprised how weak he looked. Generally, SeaWings were built with more muscle and the name Nautilus sounded tough. This SeaWing looked pathetic. 

"Sir, the background check is done. She left for some very good reasons and has a strong hatred toward Queen Scarlet. I deem her a member to the Talons of Peace," Asha stated.

"Thank you, Asha. Can you please fetch the new SkyWing here. I think she may want to meet Kestrel before she leaves," Nautilus asked.

Asha nodded and left. 

Nautilus sat there and scribbled on a scroll. That was it? Asha asked Kestrel a few questions and said "done"? Clearly, their security wasn't very good. Generally, the leader would try to get to know a newcomer before letting them join a group or tribe. 

Or at least Kestrel thought that was commonsense. Maybe that was hard to come by.

It seemed SkyWings and IceWings were the most loyal tribes. There was one IceWings here and only two SkyWings; Kestrel and another. Whomever she may be.

MudWings were fairly loyal, it seemed. There were only four MudWings.

The SandWings and SeaWings seemed most disloyal. Then again, any SandWing who didn't care for any of the three sisters had the right to be here. The SeaWings made no sense. There were at least six or seven SeaWings and at least a dozen SandWings. 

Maybe Blister was unpopular or Queen Coral was disliked. Perhaps both.

"She's here, sir," Asha claimed from the doorway.

"Come in, Avalanche," Nautilus stated from his desk. Avalanche? "I'll let you two talk. It seems Avalanche already knows you, Kestrel."

With that, Nautilus left with Asha. 

"So why are you here?" Kestrel growled at Avalanche.

"Hmm, why am I here? Well, I am spying on the SkyWings for the Talons," Avalanche explained.

"But there's another reason. You wouldn't betray your tribe for no reason," Kestrel snarled. 

"Yeah, I have two reasons. One is the fact my dragonet has the chance to be born on the brightest night, for the prophecy. The second reason was... Jay," Avalanche said. She had chocked on the name "Jay".

"What is the so called prophecy everyone keeps talking about?" Kestrel asked.  

"Oh... you don't know about it? Then I suppose Nautilus has a reason. You'll find out sooner or later," Avalanche stated.

Kestrel growled. 

Nautilus came back with some very good timing. He may have been listening and Kestrel didn't appreciate that.  

"Avalanche, time to go," Nautilus said with a hint of anger buried in his voice.

Avalanche nodded and took off. Her red tail had scraped against the rock wall dividing Nautilus' office from the rest of the Talons. It had made a hideous noise and kestrel growled again.   

Nautilus sat down in his chair and Asha entered the room. She stood at the doorway.

"Aren't you going to acknowledge us and take care of whatever needs to be taken care of," Kestrel snapped. 

Nautilus eyed Kestrel before turning his attention to Asha. He asked, "What is it Asha?"

"I believe Kestrel is fit to be a guardian with me, based on her story. May I take her to meet the other guardians?" Asha inquired.

"You may. I suppose she needs to meet Morrowseer too if she becomes a guardian. I'll schedule that but sure, allow her to meet the other guardians," Nautilus claimed.

Asha nodded and beckoned for Kestrel to follow her. 

"Thank you, he usually takes forever to notice anyone is there," Asha whispered.

Kestrel snorted as a response.

Asha brought Kestrel to meet a cowardly looking SeaWing, a SandWing who had lost his left forearm and had an injured wing, and an IceWing who looked excited. 

Out of this group, Kestrel thought she'd only like the SandWing. He looked like he had experienced war firsthand and was ready for anything. He had sadness in his eyes as well. He knew pain.

"Guardians, this is Kestrel. She is going to join us on our mission to raise the dragonets. Kestrel, the SeaWing over there is Webs, the IceWing is Hvitur, and the SandWing is Dune," Asha explained.

"Five guardians, five dragonets. Perfect," Hvitur said with too much happiness in his voice for Kestrel's liking. 

"Nobody said anything about dragonets," Kestrel snarled. 

"Look, I'm not a fan of dragonets either," Dune claimed. "But there is a reason Asha has you here. I'm here because I know of a few SandWing eggs I can get to that will hatch on the brightest night."

"I'm here because I'm going to get the SeaWing egg," Webs added.

"I'll be getting the MudWing," Asha exclaimed. "And you or Hvitur will get the SkyWing. Morrowseer will give us a NightWing."

"I still don't know the prophecy," Kestrel snapped.

"Ahm," Webs said. 

"When the war has lasted twenty years,

the dragonets will come.

When the land is soaked in blood and tears,

the dragonets will come.

"Find a SeaWing egg of deepest blue,

wings of night shall come to you.

The largest egg on mountain high

will give you the wings of sky.

For wings of earth, search through the mud

for an egg the color of dragon blood.

And hidden alone from the rival queens,

a SandWing egg awaits unseen.

"Of three queens who blister and blaze and burn

two shall die and one shall learn

if she bows to a fate that is stronger and higher,

she'll have the power of wings of fire

"Five eggs to hatch on brightest night,

five dragons to stop the fight.

Darkness will rise to bring the light.

The dragonets are coming..."

Kestrel rolled her eyes. The NightWings made a prophecy to stop the war and the Talons are trying to make it happen. Kestrel wasn't sure how she felt about it.

She didn't want to take these dragonets away from their parents and raise them herself. But then again, if they stop the war this way, there is less bloodshed involved.

"So are you in, Kestrel?" Asha asked.

"Yes, I'm in," Kestrel snorted.

What have I offered to do?