Beginnings and Endings

Kestrel cried her eyes out for the next week.

Kestrel hated the sound but she couldn't stop. The tears just kept coming.

Scarlet had ordered her guards to start reviving Kestrel from her over exhaustion, hunger, dehydration, and loss of her soulmate.

Sure, Kestrel wasn't as thin or tired but she wanted to die. Kestrel wanted to be with Maroon again. She hated everyone and everything, it was the only way she knew how to cope with his loss. Snap at everyone for everything.

Kestrel wished she had died instead of Maroon. He knew how to cope and move on, she didn't.

Maroon had lost his grandmother and his grandad was slightly crazy. Osprey wasn't the same without his wife. Osprey wouldn't eat for days on end and just read scrolls.

Maroon also had two military parents and he could lose them at any time. He had also lost a good friend of his after training.

Caracara, Jay, Robin, and Peak had yet to visit her. She figured they weren't allowed to or didn't want to.

A week? Had it been a week? Or had it been months? Maybe a year?

Kestrel didn't care anymore. She wasn't the same without him. The only dragon who believed she had any good in her was gone. What was the point of being nice and fighting back? Kestrel gave up.

Crimson and Burgundy walked into the dungeon and over to Kestrel. Kestrel didn't want to face them, least of all like this.

"How are you holding up?" Crimson asked, clearly holding off tears.

"I'm... angry," Kestrel said, trying not to growl. They were being nice, so she could too.

"Look, we get it. We loved Maroon as well, he was our son. He will only be lost if we forget him," Burgundy, the dragon of few words, claimed.

"I know, I'm just mad at myself because I didn't try hard enough, fight hard enough. I'm mad at Scarlet for all of it. I'm mad they won't let me go," Kestrel stated.

"They're not going to let you go until you're completely stable. A world war had begun. Queen Oasis of the SandWings died. From what we hear, it was by a scavenger but personally, I don't believe it. Anyway, the three princess had a fight over who should rule. So Princess Blister had the lovely idea to get the rest of the world involved. Princess Blister has made allies with the SeaWings and MudWings. Blaze had gone to the IceWings and Burn has come here," Crimson explained.

"From what we hear, they are getting along very well. So it is possible we will fight the other tribes for Burn," Burgundy added.

A world war? For three stupid SandWing princesses? Pathetic excuse for a world war.

"But I have a feeling they'll release you soon, if there's really going to be a world war because--" Crimson began.

"Because they need all the fighters they can get," Kestrel sighed.

Crimson and Burgundy nodded.

They all stayed silent and Kestrel sent a prayer to the moons. She knew what she had to do.

"Bye," Crimson said and they left with that.

As much as Kestrel wanted to die, she would never take the coward's way out. She would fight until she could fight no more, until the moons decided her time was up.

Because that was the kind of dragon Kestrel was.

The door to the dungeons swung open again and this time, Caracara walked in with Jay, Robin, and Peak.

"Hey, soldier," Caracara smiled as she swung the door open. "Ready for war?"

"Always," Kestrel answered as Caracara undid the chains binding Kestrel to the ground.

"We have some new group members, since there is a--" Caracara began.

"Since there is a world war for the SandWings and Queen Scarlet wants every able-body to work for her," Kestrel interrupted. "Crimson and Burgundy already informed me."

"Cool. Also, talking about Crimson and Burgundy, they are the battle planners. So they lead the battles which means their orders overrule mine. So now, it's Queen Scarlet's orders, then Crimson and Burgundy's, mine, and your own. Understood?" Caracara stated as they began walking out the door.

"Understood ma'am," Kestrel answered.