Chapter 5: Run

Peter P.O.V.

I twist the doorknob and step into a pristine white hallway. The faint sound of voices are perceived by my enhanced ears.

"I am not sure about this Pep. I can't be a father. I can't be like him."

"Tony, you are nothing like him."

Their voices are gradually getting louder as I sneak silently down the hall. I round a corner and become face to face with a glass wall. Behind the wall is Mr. Stark and Miss. Potts sitting on kitchen stools in deep discussion. Not wanting to be seen just yet, I retreat to the corner I turned recently and crouch down to spy on their conversation.

"Maybe he would be better off with a normal family." Tony sighs. "You travel on business trips every other week, and I am constantly in my lab. How are we going to be able to take care of a kid, a kid!" I hear a stool scoot aggressively across the floor. "I am target, Pep, and he will be too."

"Tony." Pepper butts in but is quickly interrupted.

"I know he can fight, but if he gets hurt because of me. I don't know what I would do. There has to be a better option."

At that, I scramble up and run the opposite way, not worrying if they hear me. It is not like they would follow me; I am only a burden. My feet pound on the floor, moving me away from the pain of rejection. I know I should not care. It should not bother me that the mentor I was planning on rejecting is rejecting me. Yet, it hurts. The pain, specifically a depressing one, clouds my judgment. Rendering me a pathetic hopeless freak of nature, not like I was beyond that anyways. I turn a corner and am met with my escape. An exit sign has never seemed more beautiful; I push open the door, and I am free. Their burden is gone they should be celebrating. I locate the driveway and slow my run to a walk. By now Friday has notified Mr. Stark of my escape. He will try to bring me back but soon will realize I will only cause them pain.

Not a second after that thought, I hear the rumble of a car engine approaching me. First, quickly, then slowing down as the driver spots me. It is not necessary that I look I already know it is Mr. Stark.

"Do you want to talk?" He questions in his business voice.

"Aren't you not supposed to drive after you hit the poll."

"Really, you too, Kid."

I shrug.

"I tell you the story if you get in the car."

I continue walking.

"Please."

I am still walking.

"Come on, I said please. I can count on my hand how many times I said that."

More walking.

"Peter!" He huffs, annoyed.

I finally pause and look at him. "Yes?" I question not in a pleasant mood after he basically told me he was planning on sending me to a foster family.

"I get it. You don't trust anyone right now, but pushing me away is just going to hurt you."

I become very interested in my feet. "I don't want to be a burden." Closing my eyes to stop tears flowing.

I hear the car door slam shut and the slight thumping of dress shoes against the pavement. "You are not a burden, Peter." A hand gently grabs my shoulder.

"Everyone who care for me has died!" I yell taking a step back. "My parent, Ben, May, all dead, because I was not strong enough to save them. That is why I am a burden, a curse that will destroy anyone I care about."

"Do you think this genius, billionaire, philanthropist would adopt a random kid. No," He replies forcefully, but calmly. "he is adopting the kid that has fought half of the Avengers. The one that does not obey orders but does something so idiotic and crazy he is offered a place on the Avengers. That kid is not a burden. You are not a burden."

I shake my head.

"Peter," He sigh. "Stop acting irrational."

I roll my eyes.

"You know what." He say annoyed. "Enlighten me. What is Peter's grand plan?"

I open my mouth, but nothing comes out. So, Mr. Stark continues for me.

"Is it going to an orphanage, foster home?" He rants. "Because I am sure they who love you sneaking out every night. Oh, wait, no it is being homeless; isn't it? You need to be alone, right? A 'Lone Ranger', no amigos, Yeah, I got it, Kid. I know how you feel, but that's not how life works."

Sighing, I ponder what he says. I know he is right. There is only one option.

He takes his usually sunglasses off and rubs the area between his eyes. "Honestly, Kid, I am you only option. You allowed to be Spiderman, have a nice room. Heck, I would even buy you a car if you want." He settle his sunglasses back. "So, what do you say kid."

I nod, reluctantly, then turn to him. "Did you just try to bribe me?"

"I guess I did." He chuckles. "It's usually works."

I smile then frown about all the trouble I caused. "I'm sorry."

"For what."

"Running, I guess." I reply as he leads me to the car.

He laughs dryly. "I crashed three cars when I found out my parents die."

"Really." I ask. 

"Yeah." He nods, and I remember his promise.

"How did you hit that poll?" I question as I hop in the car seat.

"It was the car's fault." He says quickly.

"You're blaming the car," I ask in disbelief.

"Ok, Mr. I-almost-destroyed-a-ferry."

'Hey, you told me you would tell me if I got in the car." I retort.

"Fine, you win this time, Kid." He sighs. "I was upgrading my car, adding parts to make it more powerful. And, well, I was careless. Instead of running a scan, I drove it into a poll."

I laugh for the first time since my aunt died.

"It gets worse," He continues. "The poll knocked out a window of important conference where I was supposed to be at. So, not only did I have to pay for the window, but I had to explain why I was knocking down polls, instead of listening to them drone on and on about how irresponsible the avengers were," He looks at me and smiles. "You can stop laugh now," He faked being offended.

"I'm not sure you should be driving now," I say through laughter.

"Do you want to walk back?" He threatens.

"No, sir," I am still laughing.

"Sir, seriously. I am not that old."

"Of course not, Mr. Stark," I respond.

He sighs and mumbles. "This is useless." As we drive back to the compound.

Thank you for reading!