Chapter 10: School Counselor

Tony was on the way back from Peter's school. This whole morning brought a sense of normalcy that Tony had long for all of life. From breakfast to driving his kid to school, there was a certain beauty that he has never realized before. Even if it was enveloped by a horrible situation, Tony would not give this new life up for anything in the world. Although it was a rough start, the end of the car ride turned out well. A small sigh escapes his lips. This whole dad thing was harder; then he previously thought. Not that he thought it would be easy, but was it always this stressful?

"Incoming call from Rhodey, Do you want me to answer it?" Friday interrupts his thoughts through the speaker in the car.

"Sure, put him through." The car changes to auto-drive because Friday is the true genius and more equipped to handle the call and drive.

"Tony?" questions Rhodey through the speakers.

"Yeah, Yeah, I am here." Tony presses a button in his watch, and his schedule appears in front of him. "Are there any problems with your legs."

"No, after I hit them a few times, they stopped the squeaking."

"You realize that that is not an effective way to handle that." Tony jokes.

"Well, it worked." Rhodey retorts. "But that's not why I called."

"I swear if you are going to ask me if I called him." Tony closes his eyes and pinches the bridge of his nose; he can't even begin to think about picking up the phone. That would... No, it will not happen.

"Tony?" Rhodey sighs, worried about his friend.

"No, Rhodey, listen. We don't even know if it is all connected, and even if it is, why should we call Rogers. We can handle it ourselves." The pleading in his voice is obvious.

"They're superhumans. Tony, you are smart enough to realize they are connected. If they are experimenting or eradicating them, it will be hard for only three people to stop them, even if we had the backing of the army. You know we need their help." Rhodey says sympathetically, but clear. He was not backing down from this.

"I-I just." Tony sighs, leaning his head back against the seat. "What if I track them, so if we need them, we know where they are."

"I guess that would work, but you can't avoid talking to him forever," Rhodey answers, his heart hurting for his friend. "How is Peter doing?"

A small smile breaks through Tony's usual facade. "I just dropped him off at school. The Kid, he's trying to avoid everything. But, he's strong. He'll make it" He huffs, but anyone could hear his change in voice. It was softer, more loving, a dad's voice. The pride was evident with every word. Peter was his son; nothing in the world was going to change that.

Rhodey smiles. Peter and Tony help each other more than they realize. "I'm glad. I have to go, but I see you Friday."

"Yep," Tony writes down ideas for tracking Rodges, tuning out the conversation.

"Rhodey has ended the call." Friday's voice intrudes on Tony's work.

"Thanks, Friday." Tony looks up as his car enters the garage. "Can you give me hourly updates on Peter?"

"Great idea, Sir," Friday responds, even she loves the kid.