Chapter 6: A Plan

Tony P.O.V. Five minutes before in the kitchen (where chapter 5 began)

"Maybe he would be better off with a normal family." I sighs. "You travel on business trips every other week, and I am constantly in my lab. How are we going to be able to take care of a kid? a kid!" I stand up, scooting my stool aggressively across the tile floor. "I am target, Pep, and he will be too."

I begin pacing back and forth. It is a nervous habit that I have tried to quit, but now I barely notice it. My mind is full of worries about Peter. I just returned after comforting his anxiety attack. Well, comforting is not the right word. I was there, attempting to be helpful. The whole situation made me realize I was in way over my head. I want to do what is best for him, even if that means sending him away from me. I promised him I would be there to helping him in processing his aunt's death. However, if he gets hurt because he is my adopted son, I will not be capable of forgiving my self. I eventually glance at Pepper and see her smiling at me.

"Tony," She starts in a calm tone. "With you worrying this much about Peter, there is no way you will fail." She gently pushes me towards Peter's room.

I look at her, unsure.

She motions with her head. "Go get our kid."

Still mulling over the conversation, I walk to Peter's room and discover the door is open. My suspicion is confirmed when I look inside.

"Friday," I question my AI. "Where is Peter?"

"He exited two minutes ago." She responses. "He is a mile down the driveway. Would you like me to send security?"

He left. This kid was giving me gray hair, and I have not adopted him yet.

"No, I'll pick up the runaway." I reply exasperated. "Get a car to the nearest entrance."

"One's already there, Boss."

"Perfect."

I jog down the hallway with purpose. I was going to get my son back.

Now

Now

"Come on, Kid. Up and out of the car." 

I turn to see Peter getting admiring the majesty of the compound. It was a stunning building showing power and unity it once housed. Now, it resembles more of a lie. The Avengers are toast, but this building still stands. Peter holds his amazed expression as we walk inside. I smirk and put my arm around his shoulder.

"You been here before you don't need to act so surprised." I chuckle.

"I know, but didn't have enough time to admire it." He looks at me not exactly smiling, but close.

"Yeah, it's nice." I shrug. "Hurry up. Pepper is waiting."

Right before we go into the kitchen, Peter stops. "Are you sure?" He questions me.