Chapter 9: School

The weekend was perfect, or as perfect as it could be when your last living relative died a few days ago. Every second was filled with jokes and rewarding hard work. They had managed to design the penthouse to how they wanted the look. Most of the self-glorifying statues and portraits were vetoed by Pepper, but there was still an Ironman theme throughout the house. Even with the distracting work, there was a gloomy cloud hovering over Peter every day, threatening to bring cataclysmic rains. Maybe it was contagious because it seemed Mr. Stark had it too. However, the weekend moved on, and the sun rose on a chilly Monday morning.

Peter wasn't sure if he was supposed to go to school, but he had to keep moving. Stopping would allow his new reality to settle in. If he just avoids the problem, it would just go away. Right? Drowsily, Peter struggled up out of his cozy bed and headed on the freezing floor to the closet. He grabs his typical science pun t-shirt, jeans, and a new jacket. Mr. Start had sent someone to retrieve all of his clothes from his apartment, his former apartment. A stab of pain went through his heart as he redid the wording. Peter was living in a Stark tower now, in a semi remodeled penthouse. What had happened in his life?

Once he is ready, he wanders down the pristine hallway into the kitchen where Mr. Stark and Miss Potts are eating breakfast.

"Good Morning, Peter." Miss. Potts greets. "We made extra pancakes for you."

Peter hangs in his head down in embarrassment. This should be May in a rundown apartment building not in a penthouse with billionaires. Still, the young hero shuffles to the table and sits down to eat. He wasn't hungry; he was the opposite. The thought of eating food upset his stomach, but Peter slowly took a bite of the pancakes and smiled gratefully. The couple was satisfied and continued bickering about the upcoming meetings.

"These meetings are ridiculous, Pepper." Tony takes a sip of his coffee. "Can't our army of lawyers fix it?"

Pepper gives him a knowing smile. "We already evaded the house inspection. It's only one meeting Tony, and they all signed to the mountain of NDA. You can survive an hour of listening to people talk about their kids."

"Do I have to contribute?" Mr. Stark huffs.

"They will be grading us to see if we are good parents." Pepper smiles. "So, yes."

Peter swallows a sip of orange juice. "What are you talking about?"

"Surprisingly, people can't grab kids off the street and house them." Tony sighs. "There's a whole process."

"Wow." Peter jokes in a monotone voice. "That is surprising."

Tony rolls his eyes. "Eat your pancakes, Kid."

Peter glances down at the food, and his stomach does cartwheels. Why can't the universe give him a break? His hands drop to his lap, his eyes close securely, separating him from the real world.

"I-I'm not hungry." He whispers.

Peter hears Tony shift uncomfortably in his seat, clearing his throat.

"Do you have any plans for today?" He asks, avoiding the problem.

"School." Peter relaxes, relieved.

"Are you s...?" Tony starts.

"Yes! sorry. But, yes, I am sure." Peter says quickly. "I already missed too much school. They will hold me back a year if I miss anymore." He stumbles out of the chair. "Thank you for breakfast. Sorry, I didn't finish it."

"It's fine." Pepper replies.

Peter shuffles to his escape. "I'm going to grab my backpack in my room." Pointing awkwardly in that direction. "I'll walk to school, so have a good day." He says as he disappears behind the corner, leaving the couple confused.