Chapter 11: Peter?

Warnings: language, but it's not bad.

Tony walks into the conference room at the public center with joy in every step. It was ironic since he remembers he had a mandatory alcoholic meeting after the second DUI (Driving Under the Influence of alcohol (or drugs)). He shudders at the thought of the awkward conversations, spilling secrets, hoping that it would heal him more than the alcohol would let him forget. That was literal hell, but this meeting would be different. After this, they could sign the papers. Then Peter would be his son—well, not his son—his kid, no—a child under his care. A bland, feelingless label, Tony's specialty. Shit. He is going to fail. Killed by the stress of taking care of not only teenage but also a young superhero

The great Tony Stark straightens his sunglasses and sits in a chair nearest to the door. The chairs are situated in a circle in the middle of the room. Most of them have been taken by couples conversing with each other and sharing pictures of their kids on their phone. The only one without a partner is the woman beside him; she smiles friendly as he sits down.

"So, you're new here." She starts a friendly conversation. "Did you just adopt?" 

He nods to the woman. "Going to, hopefully."

"Aww. That's great!" The lady smiles again, giving Tony an unsettled feeling. It was nerves, probably? "Is it just you or..."

"No, no, my fiancee has a meeting she couldn't leave."

"Well, I'm Jenny. Nice to meet you..." She holds out her hand.

"Tony."

"Nice to meet you, Tony." He cautiously shakes her hand.

"So," She says excitedly. "Boy or girl?"

"A teenage boy."

"Oh," Jenny laughs,"that's going to be tough."

Tony shrugs. "He's a good kid. Although he doesn't listen to me half the time. Is that normal?"

"Yes, very normal," her lips tug upward into a smile for the hundredth time. She appears too happy for Tony's comfort.

"What about you? Have you adopted?"

Jenny chuckles darkly giving Tony an uneasy feeling. "Yes, I have two. A boy and a girl, they both are so beautiful and curious, smart too."

"They sound great." Something is off about this woman. He couldn't figure out what yet.

"Yes, they have me read them a story every night." Her voice changes to something evil and dark. "Have you ever heard the story of the eagle and the woodpecker?"

"No, I don't believe I have." Tony shifts uncomfortably in his seat, this woman seriously gives him the vibe of a supervillain.

"You should know it. It teaches an excellent lesson." With her voice changing to one of an evil character in a fairy tale, Jenny smiles sickly. "Once, there was a wonderful eagle that ruled all of the forests. The eagle watched it all on his tall tower-like tree that stretched so far up you can see the sparkling blue lake to the sea. It rose fifty feet above the rest. No other bird could fly there except the eagle. His nest, his home, was built at the top, unreachable and unattainable. Every day the eagle would raise his mighty, powerful wings and fly over the mountains to admire his work. Forgetting about the destruction he really caused, but the woodpecker never forgot. The smaller bird's hated grew every day until one day, the woodpecker lost everything, and the eagle could have stopped it. Should have stopped it."

"The meeting is going to start soon." Tony interrupts, discreetly grabbing his phone from his pocket to run Jenny's ID. As he swipes across the screen, motioning for a picture, she quietly grabs his arm, preventing him from continuing.