Chapter 1: Hallucinations and Children

A jarring sound rouses you from your sleep. You open your eyes lazily, the window filled with a hazy gray glow and the pitter pater of rain. A black fluffy cat was sitting at the bottom of your bed, green eyes locked on you. It meows at you as if saying good morning. You sit up and stretch your arms upwards, breathing deeply. You wince at the pain that shoots through your shoulder. Right, what happened yesterday. You sigh as your arms come down.
"Morning Iltan." You hum, acknowledging the cat. He simply bounces off the bed, walks to the door, and meows again. A glance toward the clock told you that you had just enough time. It was 5:00. You stand and walk to the door, the hardwood cold on your bare feet. Opening the door, you walk down a small hall to the kitchen and open a large cabinet. Iltan meows constantly, rushing you.
"Yeah, Yeah. Chill out Il." You say as you take two cans of cat food out and hold it in front of him. He looks at them then sniffs the left one.
"Chicken in gravy, huh?" You say as you put the other one up. "I may have to steal this one, it sounds delicious." you joke. Iltan looks up at you, his green eyes filled with unimpressed dissatisfaction, and meows rudely.
"Chill out, it was just a joke." You say as you empty the can on a plate in front of him. He digs in immediately. You squat down and pet him a few times, your fingers going through his long, black fur.
"Well," you start as you stand back up, "I'm going to get ready for school, Iltan. I'll be in my room if you need me." Iltan doesn't look up, still devouring his food. You walk back to your room and proceed to the bathroom. You pull your hair back and start brushing your teeth.
After brushing your hair out, you slip on dark jeans and a hoodie. You put on black high-top converse and lace them up. You take one last look in the mirror, then turn the lights off and shut the door.
You make up your bed and grab your phone, checking the time. "6:45, huh. May be a bit early today." You think as you shove your phone in your pocket and grab your bookbag, slinging it over your shoulder. You go to the window and look through the blinds. You see water running down your window and if you look through the rain, the road lined with an occasional tree, the leaves moving slightly when rain hits them.

"And I don't have an umbrella either." You mumble to yourself. You back away from the blinds and make your way back to the kitchen. Iltan is cleaning himself on the white counter, a few black hairs escaping and falling in the air around him.
"Iltan, you weird turd muffin! Get off the counter. It's for food, not your nasty butt biscuits!" You yell, startling him and causing him to run and jump off the counter.
"That's what I thought, ya nasty." You say smiling, feeling satisfied and a bit silly. The house suddenly shakes as thunder rumbles in the sky.
"Great." You think. "Well, Iltan. I'll see you later. I better leave before it gets worse!" You yell into the house. You get no response, which you expected. You walk out the door, locking it behind you. You pull your bookbag over your head and start to run. The good thing was that the bus stop was down the road, so you were there in 1 to 2 minutes.
The rain continued to beat down on the cover over the bus bench. You look up and watch the raindrops roll down. Then you close your eyes, listening to it. You hear a familiar rumble in the distance.
"There's the bus." You mumble to yourself, standing up. You step onto the bus and sit in the very back on the right. You gaze out into the rain, fog rising up, along with the yelling an shouting of the kids on your bus. The bus lurches forward as it starts to move.
A quick movement caught your eyes and brought then to the seat next to you. There sat a skeleton garbed in purple and gold. He had lavender-colored eye lights. It was the first time seeing him, which you felt was strange. You thought you knew everyone that got onto the bus. The movement that caught your eye was him dropping his book bag onto the floor, spilling the contents.
You sigh and move to help him. He looks up quickly to see you picking up a leather book and putting it in his hands. He smiles slightly and nods, as in saying 'thank you'. You slightly smile as a response.
A pinkish bunny walks and sits where the skeleton is, and he fades away in a wispy fog. You stare, astonished. You turn away before the bunny saw you, and returned to the window. You melt your face into your normal emotionless stare, while your mind still races, trying to digest what just happened.
After 4 or 5 quick stops, you arrive at school, the thick fog making it look like a haunted mansion. The weather died down a bit, now sprinkling. Now filing out of the bus, the courtyard fills with murmurs which turn into yelling as children made way into the school. Your school had grades 1-12, which was obviously a bad idea, but the teachers did a great job making sure they didn't mingle... until they didn't. You are grabbed out of your thoughts when you feel something bump full force into your leg. Grabbing their head, a child looks up at you. A little boy with brown hair and orangish eyes.
"Sorry miss!" He said, looking around. Something that struck you was that younger grades were supposed to be in the school already. You kneel down.
"Aren't you supposed to be in your class?" you say kindly. He nods quickly.
"I was late and mama didn't know where to drop me off at so she dropped me off at the front of the school," he said, looking a little ashamed.
"Well, I can take you to your class if you want. Would you like that?" you smile holding out a hand. He just nods and takes your hand.
"I have Ms.Grondar," he says once you both walk in the commons area. Both of you walk down the halls, the child leading the way. Finally, you come to a door with tissue paper ladybugs on the door, with the names of people who are in the class. You knock on the door and see a tall woman with red hair look at you from the glass. She walks over and opens the door.
"Can I help you?" she says. You smile and gesture to the child who stands next to you.
"Yes, mam. You see this little one was late and I found him lost in the courtyard and found out he was going to your room so I brought him here," you explain.
"Thank you-" she starts, getting cut off by the sound of the tardy bell. She frowns a little then says, "I'll write a tardy slip for you." sighs turning. The child, still holding on to your hand drags you into the classroom and takes you to a table near the door.
He points proudly to one of the chairs.
"That's where I sit! And that's my friend Damion! And that's Millie!" he says pointing to a girl struggling to do a small word puzzle. He pulls you down and you swat. He then whispers to you, "that's my future girlfriend, she just doesn't know it yet."
"Here is your pass. Thank you for bringing Connor." the teacher said, handing you a yellow slip of paper. You stand up and say bye to Connor, who kept insisting that you should stay.
You finally make your way down the now silent hallway and find your locker. "22-43-00," You say in your head, twisting, and turning the nob until it clicks and swings open. You quickly grab your math and ELA binders and rush to class. You are almost there when you hear a slam. You turn to see a locker swing open. You move to close it but it slams shut again before you reach it.
Your mouth twists into an uncertain frown and you step back a step or two. Something touches your back. Lashing around, you only find the wall. You take a sigh of relief. You walk fast and concentrate on the floor. You feet catch on something that didn't see and you fall. You stand up and dust off your knees. Fear was catching up to you.
You look down the corridor you came from. The only response was silence. You narrow your eyes and walk down the hallway.
A loud thunderclap from above was heard and abrupt darkness fell around you. You overhear a scream from one of the rooms next to you. You roll your eyes. Outside was surprisingly bright, and a yellow shone.
"Wussies." you murmur where only you could hear. A slam happened again. Unison squeaks echoed through the hall, and you thought you saw a whole wall of lockers opening. And shiver went down your spine as you waited. They didn't slam together, they slammed right after each other like dominoes.
"Great, bet everyone heard that one." you murmur. You reach out with your hand rubbing the wall. You take a seat in the darkness, now hearing nothing but the eerie silence. You close your eyes and try to extend your hearing range, trying to hear any sound you can. You hear a whimper as someone cries in one room, while in another a teacher screeches for her students to be quiet. It suddenly stops. Ringing rises in your ears, which wasn't a big concern, because it happened all the time when it was too silent.
You open your eyes which are now used to the dark. You see the faint outline of doors and lockers. Standing up and walking to the bathroom, which was just around the corner your eyes dart back and forth, taking in any slight difference. You almost expected to see the writing on the lockers saying something like, "I am coming for you," or " I see you." But the last thing you expected was to hear a voice.
"Hello there," it said, dark and rough. You press to the wall and take cautious glances around the hallway. Whatever was there seemed very amused, and laughed.
"It must be an honor to meet me, and it was certainly fun to play with you, but I must warn you that your world is about to end. If you stand still, your death will be... mildly painful." It said as bright cyan eye appeared, glowing and looking crazed. You stare for a moment and started to think. You couldn't afford to make a bad choice.
Trying to be brave and cocky, you splay a crazed smile and let it spread to your eyes, mimicking the energy that came from the eye. You were not going to talk to it. Mabey it would possess you if you did? What if it used your body? "Ohh nooo. He is going to use me to steal a baby's lollipop." you think and laugh a bit at the thought. You get caught off guard by him laughing back and the eye vanishing.
"How dumb. Your heart beats so fast, your like a fly caught in a spider web. Don't try any of that on me, because it won't work. I have already wasted to much time." He said, unimpressed with your little act. You involuntarily gulp and turn to run.
You dash around left, right, left, left, right, down corridors. You're stopped when you trip on something gooey. You take no time and get back up. Throwing your bookbag through first, you bust through a window. What you see next stops you in your tracks. Your town was on fire. People and monsters screamed as they were cut down by mysterious figures or burnt alive.
You turn knowing that the person was somewhere there, waiting. You breathe deeply, smelling the smoke that is in the air around you. You fight the urge to cough but it was stopped quickly as something cold and sharp touched your neck. You sigh and roll your eyes despite your rushing heart.
You grab the mystery man's arm and push it away from your neck. Your arms shook at the pressure you were using and from the strength of the person behind you. You grab the sleeve of his shirt and yank him in front of you. Then you grab him by the scruff of his shirt. He was a skeleton with a blue jacket that had a grey hood. His eyes were purple, the other was the same, but had red in the center. He looked surprised but the sudden change in roles.
The skeleton laughs.
"Now now now. This kid is either really stupid or really wanting a death wish," He says as if you are not holding him by the shirt. "Would you like me to fix that boss?" he says flipping the knife in his hand. Before the other one could speak a new one appeared, this one black and glitchy. Blue lines came from his eye sockets, like paths.
"They are here," he says, glitches in his voice.
"Damn. Just when it was getting fun." the skeleton in your hands says, sounding generally disappointed. You let him go, the skeleton falling hard onto the ground.
You inquire what he means by raising an eyebrow. The new skeleton narrows his eyes.
"Who's the new glitch?" he says disgustedly. He turns and shakes his head. "We don't have time. We either need to flee or fight, it's your order Nightmare," he says. The mysterious voice came back.
"I am tired of fleeing, we are here to fight," he says.
"Nightmare! Stop this at once!" a voice came from behind you. Another skeleton came up, dressed in gold and blue. A crown rested on his head. A nostalgic feeling came over you as you remember the skeleton on the bus. "There are way too many skeletons," you think to yourself.
Two other skeletons show up as if to confirm your statement. One is some kind of artist, with a blue jacket tied around his waist, vials strapped across his chest, and a by paintbrush in his hand. He looked angry. The other one was in grey armor with a blue bandana around his neck. If you were being honest, they were probably the happy go, lucky good guys. You sigh. "Here we go."
A black tentacle rushes towards the yellow skeleton, who ducks just in time. A loud voice catches your attention.
"Human! Watch out!" You frantically look around, eyes open for danger. You duck to your left as a red glowing knife narrowly misses your face. You dash towards the newer, friendlier skeletons. They were mostly fighting the 'bad guys'. Something trips you up again, just like in the hallway.
You growl. Your hands and knees were bloody and bruised from falling down so much. You stand up and stick a middle finger in the air not thinking about what you were doing. A shiver runs down your spine, as you feel like you just called on death himself. A tentacle wraps around your ankle and you let out a surprised gasp. You're hanging upside and being jostled from side to side. Suddenly, you are released and, once again, greeted by the ground as something hisses in pain behind you. Now your shoulder wasn't the only thing in pain.
"Are you ok?" the golden skeleton asks, holding out a hand. You push his hand away and get up by yourself.
You wipe your hands on your pants. The skeleton just nods then yells behind him, "Blue! Get her off the field and take care of her." The blue skeleton ran over to were you were. A portal opened up in front of him at the wave of his hand and he pushes you in.