Chapter 5: War-ish Classrooms

As your head lowers, your eyes search back and forth. You spot Connor blindly running and he bumps into you. Iltan meows a protest from inside the bag. You cringe as he looks at you, rubbing his head just as you remember, and looks up at you with glistening amber eyes. You hope he did not hear Iltan's meow.
"Sorry miss!" he said, looking around behind him. You kneel in front of him like last time.
"Aren't you supposed to be in your class?" you say, worry crossing your face. He nods.
"I was late and mama didn't know where to drop me off at so she dropped me off at the front of the school," he said, looking a little ashamed.
"It's okay if you're late sometimes. I can take you to your class if you would like me to," you smile holding out a hand. He just nods and takes your hand.
"I have Ms.Grondar," he says once you both walk in the commons area. Both of you walk down the halls, but it wasn't to his class. He looks up at you anxiously.
"Hey, this isn't the way to my classroom," he said, his little hand sweaty in yours. You nod at him. His face creases more. "Where are we going?" he asks. You smile.
"We are going on an adventure, but you have to be quiet." you say, "and very brave." Connor's eyes brighten as a smile spreads across his face. Then it turns serious and he nods in agreement. His hand tightened around yours. You walk to your locker, shake off his hand, and then open the locker. It squeaks as it reveals your binders. You stare at it for a moment, realizing what's about to come, a ball of fear rising. You swallow it down.
"No, " you try to convince yourself, "this will be fun. They will play into my hands. I know things they don't." Shutting your locker, you smile shakily and turn around before the fear could rise again. You usher Conner along with you. Seeing the end of the hallway, you start to walk faster. An eerie whine comes from behind you. You slowly turn to see a locker open.
Connor tugs on your arm worriedly. You look down to see his amber eyes huge. It reminded you of two lakes reflecting the sunset. You try to give him a reassuring smile. Just like last time, you weren't going to talk. You just had to get to Dust if you had a chance of living.
You walk over to the locker, exhilaration coursing through your veins. It shuts quickly. Connor starts to whimper behind you. You go over to him and bend down. You put a finger to your lips. "Brave, " you mouth. He nods as his poked out lip gets put back into place.
A thundershock shakes the building and the lights turn off. You feel Connor flinch. You pick him up in your arms, both of his legs wrapping around each part of your side. He hugs you. You slide to the wall and put your head back listening. You weren't listening to classrooms anymore, but for the sound of lockers and mysterious people. You pop your head up when you hear nothing except the ringing in your ears and Connor's breathing.
You start to walk back to your locker, your eyes searching. From the windows glared the yellow glow from before. All that was left was the wall of lockers slamming. You waited and waited. Connor's breathing had finally slowed as the silence grew louder. By now, worry creased your face.
"Hello again, Crow," a voice barely above a whisper said next to you. You jump up violently and Connor screams, falling out of your hands. Not only did the blue eye return, but a set of red and purple eyes appeared. "Dust," you think, your heart rate slowing. Connor choaks out another scream as you turn in time to see a tentacle raise him up into the air and slam him onto the ground.
You spring into action, running to Connor. He struggles underneath the strength of the tentacle wrapped around him. He yells high pitched screams, and they echo through the hallway, filling your ears. You grind your teeth together at the sound. You jump up and grab at the tentacle but your hands end up slipping off the surface. Connor looks at you eyes wide and full of regret that he ever trusted you. You hesitate, feeling that pain goes through your heart. The tentacle slams him into the ground and the screaming stops. Then the tentacle slams him to the lockers. Connor back cracks as his body slides down the lockers. Tears were stretched down his pale face. His arm was at an awkward angle and blood spread down his chin to his torso and from his arm to the ground.
The realization hits you hard. That glimpse of Connor wasn't from the time before, it was a foresight. Your breath hitches.
"Such a pity you brought him along. You thought you could save him, didn't ya?" Dust says, his voice echoing the now silent hall. "Thought about giving him to those stupid stars." You turn around to see his face close to yours. You stare at him in his eyes. You take a deep breath and try to act confident. You acted like Connor's death did not mean anything to you. You acted like you were not wanting to cry, but you felt the eating in your eyes and your vision became glossy. Dust notices and grins.
"Aww. Baby waby gonna cry? Just because Nighty Whitey ki-" Dust says in a baby voice before getting hit with a black hand.
"Don't call me that you disgusting excuse of a killer." the figure says. Despite the dark, you could see the outline of the black skeleton and, of course, his glowing blue eye. His 4 tentacles on his back flexing and moving like they had their own mind. You snicker at Dust. You make a face, taunting him to talk like that again to you. He raises his eyebrow and smiles bigger.
"See? Attitude. And depending on what happened LAST time, " Dust says, looking at you but talking to Nightmare, his eyes searching your face. "I could probably train her. Humans have determination." Nightmare "tchs" as he looks you up and down.
"The last thing I need is another attitude ridden piece of shit on my team," he says. You narrow your eyes at him. Then you sign "okay". He looks at you unemotionally, but you saw the surprise in his eye. Dust grins.
"But she decides not to speak. It has to count as something. Also, another hostage of the star suckers to try to save. Speaking of which, they are probably here already, " he says, smiling wider. Nightmare sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose.
"The only reason I am allowing this is for you NOT to bother me. Don't make me regret it, " Nightmare says, clenching his teeth on 'not' and sending looks of disgust towards the both of us. Dust grins widely in excitement. Nightmare molds into the shadows and disappears. Dust then grabs your arm.
"Close your eyes and don't open them until I say so, " he tells you. You obey, shutting your eyes tight. From behind your eyelids, you saw white light for a quick second and then bright yellow and you smelled smoke. "Open them," he says, and then he was gone, already across the field fighting Blue, the skeleton who died last time.
You open your eyes in time to see a teal arrow come to you. You duck to the side and feel it graze your cheek. It felt oddly satisfying. You look up to see the yellow skeleton. Dream, you think his name was. He looked surprised you were still alive with the war waging around.
"Come with me. We need to get you somewhere safer than here," he said and extended his hand. Someone took your arms behind your back and something sharp was at your throat.
"No, I don't think she will. I'm thinking that she will be great for practice. I've been DYING to have something real to target. I am pretty sure that a pretty face to play with around the castle will be much obliged, " the person said, laughing at his own pun. You did not recognize the voice, but you shivered at what he said. Dream's eyes widened.
"Killer, you don't have to do this. Let's just calm down, and lower the knife. We don't want any rash decisions being made, right?" Dream said, putting his hand up in front of him in surrender. He slowly got closer and reached out for you. The other person, now identified as Killer, flinches and pushes the knife closer to your neck.
"Tah tah tah tah. Come any closer and her pretty little head will fall clean to the ground, " Killer says and laughs in your ear. His finger slides across your cheek. "You don't want that now do ya darlin?" he questions. You slightly shake your head no. He chuckles, happy with the response. A cry comes from behind you. Killer becomes slack and falls to the ground releasing your arms. You whip around to see the painter skeleton, his wooden brush in his hand. He grabs your hand, but you pull back. He looks agitated and jumpy.
"We don't have time for this! We have to go no-" he screams before getting cut off by blue strings around his throat lifting him up, then proceeding to slam him down to the ground. Static laughter comes from the sky and you see the black skeleton, who called you a glitch, sitting on the same strings. You run to a corner, trying to get away from the battle. Your eye catches an alleyway. You dash towards in and slide down the wall. You sigh, relive flowing over you. Leaning your head back, you close your eyes and listen. A thought hits you and your eyes jab open. 'Oh my God Iltan!' you think.
You jump back up and start to run to the school. You make it to the building with lungs heaving and smash through a window. You carefully make your way through the halls. You curiously look into a room. What you see sickens you. You see children strewn about, necks slashed open and limbs cut off. Despite this, you open the door, your morbid curiosity getting the best of you. You bend down to look at the nearest body. Chunks of their skin are ripped out. Their eyes are missing, leaving gaping holes. You cautiously touch their face, and it topples over to one side. You leave the head and look at the rest of the body. Lifting the arm to see it better, you examine rips from teeth in the flesh.
'What did this?' you think. A shiver greets itself by running down your spine. 'All they still here?' you dare to think as you stand up. You gaze around the room and then turn and leave. You didn't want to stay in that room more than you needed to.
You stand up and feel nauseated. Something isn't right. You fumble around before you slam onto the ground. You close your eyes and focus on your breathing, but it isn't enough to keep you from the fuzzy unconsciousness that surrounds you.