Chapter 2: Friend or Foe?

You push him back away from you. You find yourself in a bright living room situation, light flooding through the many windows. The snow was falling slowly outside. The skeleton, whose names you just found out was Blue (which you thought was strange) followed you in the house.
    "Just stay he-" he started as he was cut off by a sharp black tentacle poking straight through his chest, the end stained with fresh blood. He looked faint as blood started trickling down his face from his mouth. He was pulled back and from inside the portal, you saw him thrown, his comrade wide-eyed and terrified. The gold one ran to where he fell with the artist left to fight, slowly being surrounded.
    "What do I do? I could help... But I would probably die... But I am probably going to die anyway..." you say, the portal was slowly closing, closing off the world you came from. "Ok then. That decides it." you shrug, then run through the portal, it shutting close behind you.
    The smell of smoke burns your lungs again as you run to help and your face heats up from the fire. You pick up a piece of wood and settle it in your hand and swung it at the closest skeleton near you. It was the one you grabbed by the shirt earlier. He smiled.
    "Now that wasn't a very smart decision, now was it?" he said tilting his head, his eyes vibrating in excitement. You gulp and grip the wood tighter. He lunges forward with his knife in front and stabs it near you jump to the side before it touches you. Your eyes widen as you start to hyperventilate, marveling at how fast he was. As fast as he left he came back behind you. You didn't duck in time and he deeply slashed your arm.
    You breathe through your nose in pain and grit your look at him as he chuckles. Trying not to scream in pain, you swung the board at him, but he dodged. You swept your leg beneath him, but he dodged again. You began to lose hope. How do you defeat someone you can't even get a hit on?
    By now sweat stuck your hair to your face and you could barely breathe. Smoke stung your lungs as you cough. You start to see stars and start to fall back, but catch yourself and shake your head. "No, I will win." you search for him but he was gone. You look around. Three skeletons were laying on the ground unconscious around the artist skeleton and the gold skeleton was back by his side. The artist was fighting the glitch skeleton and the gold one was fighting off one that had a huge hole through his skull. The determination you felt just seconds ago was gone. You sit down, knowing it could mean defeat, which meant death. You sighed and closed your eyes and lifted your head to the sky, listening. You hear a laugh beside you.
    "Tired already? That was too fast. It's like your accepting death... Are you tired of living right now?" he asks, curious. You open your right eye to look at him. Same blue jacket, grey hood and crazy eyes staring back at you. He snorts.
    "You don't talk a lot do you?" he said. You face your face towards him and shake your head no. He props his head in his hand and smiles. It seemed like he was oblivious of the war raging around him.
    "I like it. Knowing when not to push someone and just giving up. It is very refreshing. Most people keep fighting until they are chopped up in little pieces. But being honest, that's fun to do, hearing them cry out in pain. Cutting them down bit by bit, their determination getting smaller and smaller. And the sound of as soul-shattering. Beautiful," he grins creepily. He was trying to make you scared, but it didn't work. You take your hand and move some debris out of the way until you found dirt. Then you wrote, 'It be like that sometimes' and you snicker. He looks at you, smiling too and shrugs.
    "I wonder if I could convince Nightmare to let me train you. It would be a waste to let you go. You didn't even grimace when I cut you which was new. You could be a valuable addition to the team. And it has been boring around the castle anyways. You're funny." he says thoughtfully. You wave at him to get his attention and write in the dirt, 'Name? Nightmare?' he stares at the writing.
    "Dust. My name is Dust. And I am guessing you're asking who Nightmare is?" you nodded in response. "Nightmare is the 'king of all negative emotions'. He has been through some crap. You see the golden prince like skeleton over there? That's Dream, his brother." he explains. He whispered the word brother as if scared to say it out loud. You write in the dirt again.
    'My name is...' you pause. You didn't want to give him your real name, no matter how nice he was being. You look around and write the first thing you see. 'My name is Crow.' you write, basing it of the bird you saw on top of the school. You wanted to smack yourself in the face. What kind of name was Crow? He just looked at you then held out his hand.
    "Nice to meet you, Crow," he said holding his hand out to shake. You shake his hand and a shock pulses through your body. You yank your hand back while he laughs and shows you what he had in his hand.
    "Buzzer in the hand trick. Never gets old, " he laughed. You snark until you see a figure behind Dust. You jump up and push him out of the way, and wooden handle slamming onto your head. The sickening crack was heard as your head throbbed in pain. The breath was forced out of you as you tried to breath. Your vision was mostly filled with black dots. You hold a hand to your head and it came back sticky. 'In out in out,' you think, barely grasping onto consciousness. You see someone walk up to you, but you couldn't tell who it was. Then it was lights out for you as you dipped to the ground.