Chapter 4: A Renewed Morning

You wake up with a start, breathing heavily. Grey light spills in through your window along with the pitter-patter of the rain. You rub the sweat off your face with your cover and sigh. You keep your eyes closed. 'It was only a dream.' you think. You look at the clock. 5:00. Something was poking you. Iltan was kneading you with his paws, and started to meow, sensing your distress. You pet him absentmindedly.
    "My head aches. Was it a dream? It had to be..." you pause. Then look at the clock. Still 5:00. Sighing you stare out the window. You bring your hand up to where the wood hit you on the head and found that it was now a sore spot. You pulled up your sleeve and checked where Dust had stabbed you. There was a scar, and although it was fresh, it looked like it had been there your entire life.
    You pick up your phone, not bothering to unplug it from the charger and get on the internet. You wonder while twiddling your thumbs, thinking about how to type what had happened yesterday. Yesterday? Today? Testerday? Yes, that is what you would call it. You snort at the new word you made and searched, "skeleton takeover". It just results in in-game clips and memes. Not what you were looking for. You typed in time travel but deleted it from the search bar almost immediately. You knew nothing helpful would come up, only time theories and some bogus and useless information. You put your phone down onto the bedside table and stand up. The floor was cold, just as you remembered it to be.
    You grab an extra bookbag from under your bed and slap it, causing clouds of dust to fly off it. It was black with gold zippers. Your "rich aunt" got it for you for your 15 birthday. The only 2 things you liked about it was big, and it wasn't hot pink like the other things she normally gave you. You cough as you go to your closet and examine your clothes. You remember the psychotic skeleton, Dust. He said something about going with him. And by the looks of your world, especially after they were done with it, you were determined to be prepared.
    You put in a pair of jeans, and hoodie, a shirt that has your school's colors splashed on it in a tie-dye kind of way, sweatpants, and, of course, extra undergarments and products. A person could never be too careful. You go into the bathroom and pour in your toothbrush, toothpaste, and other hygiene products. You also pack conditioner and shampoo, along with soap, just in case. You finally pack your charger and your phone after shutting it down. You weren't going to listen to music today. You thought it was too risky.
    Also, you could try to talk to the skeleton on the bus. Maybe he was a sign? Or maybe he was a warning? Was he stalking you? You could only find out by asking him. You run over to your bed with your "survival kit" bookbag and checked the clock. 6:46 and you weren't even dressed yet. You dash to the bathroom until you realize all of your products are in your bookbag. Rolling your eyes, you grab your things and get ready quickly. You had to catch the bus.
    You slip on jeans and another hoodie, the same things you wore "tesderday" and grab your bookbag and run into the kitchen. Iltan was waiting there next to his food plate, staring expectantly. You sigh as you're hit with another conflict. "I can't leave Iltan." you think. You set your bookbag down and crumple things to the side. You take a kitchen knife and poke holes in the side that is now clear. You pick up Iltan and, despite his size, force him into the semi cramped space. He growls and hisses while you close the bookbag again.
    "Sorry Iltan," you apologize, "but it's for your own good. I promise, baby." you put your bookbag on and dash out the door as a loud rumble shakes the house. "Right on time, " you think and smile. You start running to the bus stop with your bookbag in your arms to prevent Iltan from being jostled too much, the rain drenching you. Although the reasons for this "apocalypse" thing happening were unknown, you had to admit it was pretty cool that you knew what was going to happen in the "future". It reminded you of checkpoints in a game. Get to a certain point and your game gets saved. If you die, you wake up there. You guess that is like what happened.  "Guess that's how life is now. Just a little game," you think humorously, arriving at the bus stop. As soon as you sat down on the bench, a familiar rumble rose into the air and you stood back up. You knew the bus was coming up around the corner.
    You get onto the bus and walk to your regular seat plopping down and looking out the window. In reality, you were looking for the skeleton in your peripheral vision. After the bus takes off, he appears in a purple, wind-like mist. Just like when he disappeared. He looks at you. You turn and look back at him. You flash a small smile and pat on the seat you were sitting in. He looks at you surprised and looks around cautiously. Something captures his attention, and he stares out the back window, then disappears. You frown as Iltan's meows being you back.
    "So much for a conversation, " you murmur.   You lurch forward as the bus stops. Turning your head quickly, you look back at the window as the pink bunny sits where the skeleton once sat. You stifle a gasp as you see small writing on the glass. You couldn't identify what it said, but it still sent shivers down your spine as your curiosity spiked. What did it mean?
    You wipe it off before anyone could see and pear out the window, looking for the skeleton. All you saw was a crow on the sidewalk, hopping across. It pulled a white piece of dead grass out of the nearby lawn and threw its head back and ate it. The crow's head turned and tilted, looking at his surroundings before he cried out with caws. He stopped and then took off. You puffed an amused laugh, but then stopped. You had to focus, plan.
    You knew when you got to school, Connor would run into you. The picture of him broken ran through your mind. You shook your head. "I don't want that to happen. There has to be a way for that not to happen." An idea blossomed in your brain. "If those good guy skeletons tried to save me, maybe they will save Connor." you paused that thought when you noticed he would have to run from that other one-eyed monster first.
    "Could I carry him? No, I would fall down and hurt him. But if I don't do the same thing I didn't last time and trip on the tentacles, the monster will do something different." you shiver. You suddenly realized you did not like not knowing what would happen next. Especially with the skeletons. "One wrong move and..." You shiver again. The bus stops with a screech. Kids jump up and pile out of the bus doors. You pick up your bag in your hands and get off the bus.

                      "Let's do this."