Chapter Five

If there was one thing the Wizarding World was sure of, it was that one doesn't mess with Draco Malfoy unless wish to feel the wrath of Lucius and Lyra. However much those two disagree, they would both defend their son to the ends of the earth.

Draco hadn't been very careful while at school, keeping his head down. He never had, why would he start now? He liked showing off his power and letting everyone know that he was better than them.

He especially hated when Harry Potter thought he was so much better than him. Just because he had managed to ride a bloody Hippogriff (which he thought looked like an overgrown chicken) didn't mean he was better than them. Draco could do it, too. Well, he thought he could. That's how he ended up in the Hospital Wing with a Hippogriff scratch.

Lucius had been furious, of course. Nobody messed with the Malfoys (not even his wife, who was getting more annoying every day). He hadn't bothered with going through the school or talking to the Headmaster. He had absolutely no respect for Dumbledore. He was going to the Ministry to get that Hippogriff executed.

Lyra had a bit of a soft spot for Hippogriffs (her Patronus had once been a Hippogriff, after all), so she wasn't sure how she felt about the possible execution. She was mostly worried about Draco, and wanted to see if he was alright.

She wouldn't decline an opportunity to go to Hogwarts either, not just because Draco was there (or even Harry, who kept reminding her of father). Remus Lupin was the Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor and she wouldn't mind accidentally running into him to make things right, even if she knew she'd have to keep it a secret from her husband for her old best friend's safety.

But she was now sitting in the Hospital Wing of her old school, making her think back on many old memories as her son kept complaining in his hospital bed. "It's killed me, mother! That bloody chicken's killed me!"

"If it's killed you, then why are you talking to me right now? You're going to be alright," Lyra assured him from her chair next to him, trying to keep from chuckling at his dramatics. "You're just going to have to wear a sling for a while."

"Do you not care that it tried to kill me?" Draco hissed, looking at her incredulously. She had been so worried when she ran in there, having used Dumbledore's fireplace to get there, but she had suddenly calmed down when she sat down next to him.

"Of course I care that you were hurt, but it didn't try to kill you." The mother reached out to stroke his hair while he pretended not to want her to. "Merlin, you can be dramatic sometimes. I suppose you could have gotten that from me."

"I'm not dramatic!" the thirteen-year-old boy exclaimed, looking quite offended at the insinuation. "Is father going to take care of the situation? We can't have such a murderous, savage animal around students."

"He's at the Ministry, Draco. We'll see what happens," she said kindly, though she wasn't sure she wanted the Hippogriff to get executed, but she had much larger fights with her husband. She couldn't afford another one because of a Hippogriff who had hurt their son. "Now, you should get some rest. You've had a long day and I'm just happy you're alright."

"I'm not alright! Do I look alright?" The young boy used his good arm to gesture to the one who was in a sling, hiding the deep gashes he had gotten from the altercation. "Look at my arm, mother!"

"You sound like yourself, at least. I'll take that as a good sign then." Lyra leaned over to kiss his blond hair kindly. "I've got to go, but I'm glad I got to see you again before Christmas. I'll see you then, too."

Draco seemed to realize that he wasn't going to be able to rile up his mother to go demand justice and the death of the Hippogriff. Then again, she never seemed angry in front of him, only stern sometimes. "Of course. Send me a letter when we know what happens to that stupid Hippgriff."