Chapter Fourteen

Lyra's head was pounding as she woke up in an unfamiliar bed. For a moment, she freaked out, wondering how the hell she had gotten to somewhere she didn't recognize without remembering why. 

Then it came to her. She had been an idiot, going around and getting drunk with her older sister, then refusing to go home because she remembered she had unfinished business with Remus, which led to her being an embarrassment and hysterically crying and falling on the floor. 

It was alright though, as long as it was Remus. He had seen her in much more embarrassing positions before. He had seen her sob and cry and be drunk. She had seen him drunk, too, so they were usually even. Though that hadn't happened in over fifteen years, closing in on twenty. The thought made her feel old. 

She frowned, groaning as she turned around. On the bedside table, there was a glass of water. Remus must have put it there when he woke up, knowing that it was always good to have one to help sober her up. She smiled slightly at this, he was still as caring and sweet as always.

Quietly, she got up from the bed. She could feel a nice smell from the kitchen, but she thought it was difficult to focus on what it was. She supposed that having a bite to eat would make it easier. 

Remus didn't seem surprised when she walked into the kitchen, a blanket still wrapped around her shoulders. He smiled slightly, holding out a plate filled with delicious breakfast foods.  "Breakfast? I remember how much you liked bacon. Hope that hasn't changed."

"It never could," Lyra responded, gratefully. She grabbed the plate and sat down on by the table,  "Though I didn't eat it for, like, two years back in the eighties. I couldn't stand the smell when I was pregnant."

"Sorry I didn't have much more," he said, sitting down opposite of her. He supposed she was used to much grander meals, but she didn't seem to mind. "Funds are a bit tight nowadays. I've saved some of my money from teaching, but it's not going to last forever. Trying to be a bit sparse."

The blonde looked at her old friend sympathetically, not really having thought about him having money problems, though she supposed it made sense with the old, tattered robes he always wore and how small the house was. "Is it difficult finding work? With your condition?" 

"It's getting harder," he admitted reluctantly, shoving a piece of bacon in his mouth. "I don't know if you've heard, but there's a talk of a new law that makes it harder for werewolves and people like us to find work."

"I'm sorry," she said quietly, though taking a bite of her food to help her feel less hungover. She did not remember alcohol affecting her like that when she was younger. One of the cons of growing older, she supposed. "If you ever need any money-"

He cut her off, giving her a blank look. "I don't want your charity, Lyra."

"What about a loan?" the witch retorted, trying to smile sweetly in hope of him being charmed to accept. "Come on, I don't want you to lose your house or starve to death or something. I have money to spare."

"Perks of being a Malfoy, right?" he asked, taking a sip of his water as he looked away. There was a hint of bitterness in his voice, though he tried to hide it. She couldn't blame him for it. She was bitter about it herself. 

She released a breath, chuckling awkwardly as she wasn't sure what to say. "One of the only ones, I'd say."

"Speaking of, what happened last night?" Remus asked, the question having been plaguing his mind all night as he slept on the couch. "Talk to me, please. Why would you go out and get drunk and talk about... those things you talked about."

"I'll talk if you let me give you some money," she retorted cheekily. He didn't seem willing to take it yet. "Come on. It's only going to be win-win for you. Money, deep conversations with me. What more could you possibly want?"