Chapter 3

I felt like I hadn’t spent any time sleeping over the next week, determined to learn more sign to make a better impression on Harry. I was slowly becoming obsessed with the boy in question. He seemed to appear everywhere I looked and in any dream that I did have. It was getting slightly irritating since I knew nothing about him other than he was deaf, he could play piano and he had no friends. So when Monday came about and it was finally time for me to see him once again I had the nerves already in my stomach. I spent all morning going over the signs that I had learned while I was showering and getting ready.

“Louis, you’re already late for school.” I groaned and rushed out of the shower quickly. Out of the week I had been at school I had been on time 1 day out of the 6, my English teacher must just love me. I wrapped the towel around me and ran into my room grabbing my uniform off the floor and pulling it on quickly. My hair was going to have to go natural which never ended well but what was I to do? I started to walk to school and saw that I wasn’t the only one late for school. I smiled at the mass of curls in front of me and ran quickly to catch up with him. I tapped him on the shoulder and smiled at him widely.

Hey.

I smiled at him and his smile that he returned back meant, I assumed, that it was because he was excited that I was still trying to use sign or maybe it was just because someone cared enough to talk to him. Once again his hands started to fly about in the air and my eyes grew wide at how fast he was going. I racked my brain for how to say slow in sign.

Slow please.

I figured out how to say it finally and Harry laughed. I was shocked at how perfect his laugh was. Even with him not being able to hear himself, his laugh was loud and bell-like. It pierced my heart with just exactly how beautiful it was to see the guarded boy smile and laugh at my expense of course, but it was still a laugh. Harry waved in front of my face and I realized that I had been staring at him; I was mortified so instead I focused on his hands. They were going slower and I could pick up simple words.

Hi Louis how are you?

It took me a few seconds before I finally figured out what he was trying to say, after he had to sign it multiple times might I add. Eventually I figured out and smiled, laughing slightly at how slow my brain was.

Good, you?

Harry made the okay sign and I felt my eyebrows furrow, I was about to ask why when I realized that we were at the school doors already and Harry was walking away from me. I felt disappointment flow through me as I walked into my English class.

“Louis, may I ask why you’re so late?” I swore under my breath and quickly racked my brain for a realistic lie.

“We were having car trouble so I had to walk my little sisters to school. There’s 4, do you know how hard it is to get 4 little sisters ready?” My teacher sighed and crossed his arms across his chest, looking at me with his eyebrow raised. “I’m sorry sir.” He waved his arm and I went to move back to my seat quickly, running practically.

My mind was completely unfocused on the classes I had ahead of me, only focusing on Harry and only Harry. When lunch finally came around, the boys and I decided to head outside for lunch once again to soak up the last of the sun and heat before winter finally hit. It was colder than last week so we kept our blazers on as we sat outside in the wind.

“So Louis why were you actually late?” Niall asked mid-chew. I shrugged and bit off a piece of my sandwich.

“Meh, I slept in. I’m still shattered mate.” He nodded and bit off another huge piece of his lunch. He really could eat quite a lot of food and he never seemed to be overstuffed.