Chapter 7 : Late night's work

Entering my office in the White House I meet gazes with my uncle, whom I asked to wait here. He was occupying my chair instead of the couches available. "Five minutes." he said, looking at his watch. "That was a short one."

"We're doing damage control." I explained. "Ever since what happened the Reagan Administration has been doing what they can to help."

"We almost went into World War Three because of that bloody idiot."

"Still he killed himself. Coward."

"Are we ready to go?"

"We'll go in my car." I say. Instead of leaving from the front gate we took the elevator down to the basement. Taking out my car key I clicked on the key fob and the SUV unlocked on command. "I'll drive, no buts Timothy."

"Whatever you say." he chuckled. But he still sat beside me while they sat at the back. The SUV exited the basement and joined the night traffic in DC. The rain has stopped during the meeting in the Situation Room but still it doesn't slow down the traffic jams.

"She's your niece?" the quartermaster asked.

"She is."

"Uncle Roland, you have something to ask me no?"

"I haven't heard from Vladimir. How is he?"

"Uncle Vladimir? He crushed the Chinese tanks and went on an hour rant with the President."

"I knew he would." he said. "My father wished that your grandparents are well."

"They're fine, don't worry." I say, turning left. "Case in point, the Vladimir we have been talking about is my uncle."

"It's a family secret." I smiled upon Timothy's words. There are a few people who knew about my relatives. The President, obviously, being my foster dad, Dominic, Secret Service agents Andrew Barrowman and Timothy Brock, my old boss Nick Fury, and my husband Bruce.

"We're here." I said. The vehicle pulled up to the curb of Number One Observatory Circle, my official residence as Vice President of the United States. Getting off the vehicle I climbed the stairs and entered the residence. My cat immediately jumped into my arms when I found her lying on the couch in the living area. "Make yourselves comfortable." I say. The kitten rests quietly in my arms as Uncle Roland took note of the cat.

"It's a British munchkin."

"I know." Timothy showed them the guest rooms available in the residence and I returned to my room. Always the Secret Service agent he requested to sleep in the room next door so that he can protect me in the nick of time if danger is imminent.

Half an hour later

I woke up to the sound of the grandfather clock chiming in the living area downstairs. Grabbing my phone still charging on my nightstand I noted the time which is half past eleven. Looking out of the window of the bedroom I breathed in a heavy sigh and sat up in bed. The president could already be asleep judging by the time but now I find myself couldn't to do so ever since waking up. My phone then started vibrating on the small table and I received a message. "Are you asleep?" Bruce asked. "Need your help in something." Standing up I walked towards my study table and picked up the black laptop along with an earpiece. Linking the wireless earpiece to the laptop I contacted Bruce and waited for him to answer. He picked up a few seconds later and instead of his civilian identity he is in his Batman persona. We looked at each other for a long time in silence. "...You okay?" he asked.

"Sorry, I just woke up. Couldn't sleep back again." I said. "So... what do you need?"

"I've been tracking Roman. Thought that I need your help in finding him."

"No problem." I said. "Why? Another trafficking ring?"

"Seemed that way." he replied. 

"I'll work on it." I said, my hands dancing away on the keyboard. Continuing to track Roman Sionis through the map and found him hiding in his warehouse within the Gotham City slums. "Found him, sending you the coordinates."

"Thanks." he said.