A New Task

'Darn it, darn it, darn it, what were you going to do?'

It was lunch time, and, although you would have loved to join some of your friends, the burning against your chest couldn't be mistaken. Aric was calling you again.

What did he need this time?

He hadn't called you for a while after that little incident and you were enjoying yourself. For a moment, you had even begun to believe that your assistance was no longer needed. But, of course, he wouldn't just let you go like that.

So, you dragged your feet all the way to his office.

You raised your fist and took a deep breath before knocking twice. 

Very quickly, almost too quickly, you heard the door being unlocked.

Stepping back, you were met with Aric leaning against the doorway. "So glad you could join me Miss [Y/n]."

Feeling your exhaustion creep up, you huffed, "It's not like I had much of a choice." You pushed past him slightly to get in there and finish up as fast as you could.

"My, my." He clamped his hands down onto your shoulders and closed the door behind him with his foot, "The little mouse has claws today, does she?"

You immediately tensed up and any anger or confidence you had earlier had disappeared. 

The moment his hands loosened up the slightest bit, you turned and took a few steps back from him to get out of his grip, "Um, of course not, Dean Aric."

He crossed his arms over his chest and looked you up and down. "Good." Then, he folded his arms behind his back and made his way over to his desk.

He leaned back in his chair and raised his feet to rest them on the desk. "Let's get started," He held out a scroll of paper to you. Once you grabbed it, it unrolled itself to reveal a monstrous list. The list continued to roll down till it hit the floor and piled in onto itself. When you held it up as far as your arm could reach above you, the very end of it still grazed the floor. "Finish all of that before the end of lunch."

Your mouth was completely agape as you stared in horror at the thing. There was no way were going to finish all of this within a week, let alone a single lunch period.

A shadow then loomed over you. Looking up, you were met with Aric's devilish grin. You flinched at the close proximity, you hadn't even heard him get up.

He brought his hand up to your face and gently lifted your chin to close your mouth. He was standing really close to you.

You broke out of your staring contest and looked back down at the list to the best of your ability, "With all due respect, I-I really don't think this would be possible for me to finish today."

You looked back up at him, his expression had not changed.

"Well then, you better get started right away."

With another heavy sigh, you looked away from him, breaking his hold on your face, and started rolling up the scroll. Once it was tightly rolled, you made your way to the door. You placed your hand on the handle-"Unless, of course, you've rather do an alternate assignment."

You turned back to him, He was sitting on his desk, paying close attention to the swirled patterns in it.

"What is it?" You took a few steps toward him, but he held out a hand to stop you.

He shook his head, "You have to agree to it first." He met your gaze.

You felt anxiety fill your being. It could be something horrible. Like, letting him take you down to the doom room, or letting Queen Sophie take her anger at the world out on you, or he could kill you all together. But, then again, you'd probably also get in trouble if you didn't finish this obviously impossible task that he wants you to do.

You looked back down at the scroll in your hand, then back up to him. 

You made your way over to his desk and set the scroll down next to him. He looked up at you. "I would like to accept the other task."

His smile raised once more, "Wonderful."

He got off his desk and grabbed one of the chairs on the other side of his desk. He dragged the chair to the door, and put it outside of his office. He also took a second to lock the door with his key. Then, he went to the supplies closet that you usually went to organize his things. However, instead of it being filled with his usual weapons and papers, there was a silver tray covered by a silver lid.

Aric brought the tray over to the table before looking back at you, "Well? Come on." He motioned towards the seat that was left on the other side of his desk.

You quickly made your way over and sat yourself down. Smoothing out your skirt, you were still on high alert. You had no idea what he was intending to do.

He then lifted the lid off of the tray to reveal something that almost made you cry.

It was ever food. A whole lot of it!

There was lamb sandwiches, miniature meat pies, watercress quiche, hazelnut hot crossed buns, rosewater plums, strawberry souffle, blackberry doughnuts, and so much more. 

Along with that, Aric revealed two pitchers. One labeled as cherry tea, and the other as mint lemonade.

"I-Wha-"

"Your task is to have lunch with me."

He sat himself down in his chair across from you.

"But, why?"

He poured himself a glass of one of the drinks and then reached for yours, "Why does it matter? You haven't eaten this stuff in forever, just enjoy it. You're lucky I was able to find a nymph willing to do this. Now, which drink do you want?"

Not wanting to argue and miss out on delicious food, you forgot whatever you had been previously thinking about and decided to focus on your 'task'.

You didn't notice the way Aric let out a small sigh of relief. For once in his life, he had felt nervous about something.

Luckily, things seemed to be going according to plan.