Coda

I walked out of my quarters and started walking to the shuttle bay. The Captain, Chakotay and I were going on an away mission and if I didn't hurry, I'd be late. I made it into the shuttle bay and saw Chakotay waiting outside the shuttle for me.

"Long night?" he asked, smirking.

"No, I actually went to bed early. How was last night?" I asked.

He walked over to me, wrapped an arm round my waist and left a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"It would have been better with you there."

I patted him on the shoulder before making my way into the shuttle and sitting down at my station.

----

"Harry's clarinet solo was okay. I could have done without Tuvok's reading of Vulcan poetry. But the highlight of the evening was definitely Kathryn Janeway portraying the Dying Swan." Chakotay said.

"Oh man, I have to see that!" I said.

"I learned that dance when I was six years old. I assure you; it was the hit of the Beginning Ballet class." The Captain said.

"If there's another talent night, you have to do it again." I suggested.

"Oh, no. Not until certain other people take their turn. The ship's First Officer or his girlfriend for instance." She suggested.

"Me? Get up in front of people and perform? I don't think so." Chakotay said.

"I might do it, as long as I can get lots of practice in first." I said.

"Come on, Chakotay, there must be some talent you have that people would enjoy. Maybe I could stand with an apple on my head and you could phaser it off." The Captain said, chuckling.

Chakotay and I laughed along with her.

"Sounds great. If I miss, I get to be Captain." He said, smiling.

The shuttle suddenly shook violently, and I looked to my console.

"It's atmospheric turbulence. We may have a rough landing." I said.

"Funny. A minute ago, there was no indication of rough weather." The Captain said.

"I'm reading even more storms near the surface." Chakotay stated, looking at his console.

I looked out the window and saw multiple strikes of lightning light up the sky.

"Ion lightning." I said.

"I suggest we try the fifth planet instead and come back when things have cleared up." The Captain suggested.

"I agree."

Suddenly, something hit the ship, causing me to fall onto my console and hit my head. I groaned and looked around.

"I think we took a lightning hit. Altitude control is out." Chakotay told us.

"Switching to manual." I said.

There was another bang and sparks flew everywhere.

"The navigational system's out. I shouted over the sirens."

"Reverse engines. Full thrusters." The Captain ordered.

WARNING. HYDRAZENE GAS LEAK.

"Altitude twelve kilometres. Hull temperature four thousand degrees. We have to reduce speed." The Captain said.

"I'll try the emergency anti-grav thrusters." Chakotay said, furiously hitting the console.

I watched as we fell through the cloud cover and...