PART EIGHT

Keep reading, keep loving, and keep spreading the word!💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

Also, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     As Frypan and I serve the Gladers a delicious-smelling supper, I try my best not to make eye contact with Gally, his insult still fresh in my mind.
The problem is, he may be right. Being the only girl in the Glade has made me feel weak since the moment I arrived.
     When Newt goes through the line, he tries to catch my eye but I avoid his gaze. It's been almost half an hour since I was afraid he was going to murder Gally, and now when I look at him I question how well I know him.
     After everyone's gotten their food, I grab some for myself, carry it to Thomas's table, and sit down next to him.
     He greets me with a nod and says, "Hey, Y/N. How's it going?"
     I offer a brief smile. "Not too bad. Um, can I ask you something?"
     "You just did." He laughs hysterically at his own joke.
     I wait for him to realize that I, for one, do not think it's funny. Boys, I think to myself, mentally rolling my eyes.
     A few agonizing seconds later, he must finally see on my face that I'm trying to be patient with him because he sobers up quickly, clears his throat, and replies, "Uh, yeah. Anything."
     I take a deep breath in an attempt to gather my thoughts after they were so unceremoniously scattered a moment ago.
     "I was with Newt and Gally before supper and Gally...said something that made Newt really upset." Thomas doesn't look convinced, so I add, "Like insanely upset. As in, I thought he was going to punch Gally."
Thomas raises his eyebrows.
"I'd never really seen Newt like that before, so I was wondering: does he get mad very often?"
"No..." Thomas replies slowly, shaking his head in confusion. "What exactly did Gally say?"
"Well, it was actually an insult directed toward me, but for some reason it set Newt off."
"Ah, I see," Thomas says as if everything just became clear to him.
"Um...I don't." I search his face for an indication of what he's getting at.
Thomas just shrugs casually. "I mean, if Gally said something bad about you, then I'm not surprised Newt reacted like that."
"What in the Glade is that supposed to mean?" I demand.
"Hey, Thomas!" someone calls. We both turn toward the sound and see Minho waving him over.
     I look up at Thomas, hoping he'll stay and explain himself, but he just says, "Sorry, gotta go," and heads off in Minho's direction.
I watch him walk away, even more confused than before.
                                      ~~~~
     I help Fry with the dishes then leave to collect the clean laundry I left on the clothesline to dry.
     As soon as I exit the kitchen, I head toward the bonfire in search of Chuck, my faithful laundry buddy.
     I spot him sitting by the fire next to Thomas and Winston and jog over to him as I notice that the sunset is quickly fading.
     "Chuck!" I call as I reach him.
     He looks up from his conversation with Thomas and I ask, "Gonna help me with the laundry?"
     Chuck glances at Thomas, then his gaze swings back to me. "Sorry, Y/N. Thomas and I were just talking..."
     I hold up my hands quickly. "No worries. It's no problem, Chuck."
     "I can help," Winston pipes up unexpectedly.
     "That'd be great, thanks," I reply gratefully.
     He says goodbye to Chuck and Thomas then hops up to follow me.
                                      ~~~~
"So what's it like being a Slicer?" I ask Winston as we start to hear the stream up ahead.
     He shrugs casually. "Really dirty, kinda dangerous."
     "But hey, we get good meat out of it," I say, and he flashes a proud smile.
     We reach the clothesline. "Just hold out your hands and I'll fold the shirts into your arms, okay?" I instruct.
     He nods and I get to work, pulling the shirts down one by one and folding them carefully on top of Winston's outstretched arms. My muscles sting each time I reach up for a new shirt.
     "So," he begins with a smirk, "You and Newt, huh?"
     I nearly choke. "No! Who told you that?"
     He laughs at my reaction. "You'd have to be blind to miss what's obviously going on between you two."
     "I guess I'm blind then," I say slowly, almost as if asking a question.
     Then Thomas's words suddenly pop into my head. If Gally said something bad about you, then I'm not surprised Newt reacted like that.
     Whatever. I think, mentally tossing the idea in the trash. That's just Thomas's opinion.
     "Ok, granted, I'm pretty observant so I wouldn't sweat it if I were you; just hope Gally doesn't notice."
I shoot Winston a deadly look. After that, he keeps his mouth shut while I finish collecting the clean clothes.
     When I'm done, I take half the stack from his arms and walk off toward the Homestead without another word.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Get ready!!!!! The next part is pretty big (both literally and emotionally!)