PART SIXTEEN

Everyone recovering from the last one?😜 Thank GOODNESS it was just a flashback🥵 Pretty soon everything will make sense, so hang in there!😉
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     I'm jolted back into reality and immediately sit up.
     "Oh my goodness..." I breathe.
     For a moment—for several moments—I'm in shock.
     I can't even begin to process the dream—the memory.
     When I turn and see Newt asleep beside me, I can't hold back the sob that comes without warning.
     I stagger to my feet as he starts to wake up.
     He runs a hand through his hair. "Y/N?" he asks sleepily, propping himself up on one elbow.
     Just hearing his voice speak my name causes a tear to slide down my cheek.
     I'm already undoing the padlock by the time he realizes something isn't right.
     He pulls himself into a sitting position, finally awake. "What's wrong?"
     I climb out of the Pit.
"Wait, Y/N—"
I replace the padlock with a loud click, cutting him short, then force myself to look into his eyes.
For a second, I feel sorry for him, because he doesn't know, and that's not his fault.
But that second passes, and the bitterness returns unashamedly.
Before he can say anything else, I just shake my head and take a step backward. Tears blur my vision and I can barely see.
It doesn't matter, though; I don't care where I'm going, as long as it's away from him.
"Y/N!" he calls after me.
But I just turn without a word and walk away.
~~~~
Tiny rays of sunlight are already peaking over the Walls, so I know dawn is coming.
And that means the Runners will also be here soon, so I sit and wait next to one of the Doors, leaning heavily against the towering stone.
Not fifteen minutes later, I catch movement across the Glade.
The Homestead door opens, and two figures slip out: Minho and Thomas.
As they start toward me, I stand to meet them.
"Morning," Minho says as they near me. "What're you doing up so early?"
     I hesitate, glancing at Thomas. "I need to talk to Thomas. And, um...I have something for him, too."
     I reach into my pocket and hand Thomas the key as quickly as I can, but Minho sees what it is and shoots Thomas a disapproving look. "You slinthead, you gave her the key?!"
     "Slim it, Minho. It's fine," Thomas replies. "She didn't let him out."
     "Whatever," Minho mutters. "Just hand it over."
     Thomas gives it to him as I ask, "Wait, why do you need it?"
     "Sunrise, Greenie. Newt's good to go." He smirks, not noticing when I frown at his words.
     Then he turns to Thomas and tells him, "Meet me at the entrance to Section Seven."
     Thomas nods and Minho starts toward the Pit. I will him to walk slowly so that I have more time to talk to Thomas.
     "Okay, what's going on?" he asks.
"I don't want to talk here. Let's go back to the Homestead," I say, knowing it'll take longer for Newt to get to us once Minho lets him out.
     Thomas nods and we set off across the Glade.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WHOA, almost 200 reads?!?!?🤯
Thanks so much guys! It means a lot😘