PART THIRTEEN

I hope your day's going well so far!😘
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     When Frypan and I begin to serve supper, Gally is one of the first in line. We lock eyes for a few moments; he stares me down with a half-bitter, half-satisfied look on his face. His nose is looking better.
     Newt, Thomas, and Minho are the last ones through the line, and Fry lets me jump in with Newt so that I can eat with him. He has a couple of cuts on his face, but looks better than he did a few hours ago.
     "Wanna eat in the Lookout Tree?" he asks once we get our food.
     I glance around and see that the only empty spaces are near Gally, so I reply, "Yeah, sure."
~~~~
     We eat most of our meal in silence until Newt says, "Are you mad at me?"
     I pause then clear my throat. "No. As long as you understand that you can't break the rules on account of me."
     "But he—" Newt protests, gesturing to my wrists, the traces of red nearly gone from them.
     "He only did that because I tried to hit him," I explain. "I was the one who almost broke a rule."
     "But the things he said to you..."
     I exhale. "Yeah, I know, but insulting people isn't against the rules."
"Well maybe it should be," Newt mutters. "At least in your case."
"I can take care of myself," I return evenly.
He sighs. "You know that's not what I meant."
I stare at my empty plate for a second, then reach for his. "I'll take these back to the kitchen," I say quietly.
I'm already starting down the ladder before he can thank me.
~~~~
"Seriously?" Fry asks in exasperation as I add the plates to his already impressively large stack of dishes.
"Sorry..." I say apologetically. "See you in the morning?"
"If I even finish these dishes by then," he groans dramatically.
I shake my head with a smile and leave the kitchen for the night.
~~~~
On my way back to the Lookout Tree, I see Minho coming toward me.
     "Newt's in the Pit."
     "Wait, what?" I ask, confused. "Already?"
     "Sundown," he says with a shrug as he walks past me.
     I turn and follow him as he continues swiftly toward the Homestead. "The sun went down like two seconds ago!" I protest.
     "Don't worry, you'll see him in the morning," he chuckles, smirking as I finally catch up to him.
     "Oh, shut up." I punch his shoulder. "I just wanted to say goodnight."
     He shrugs again. "Your fault for dating a rulebreaker."
     I roll my eyes in annoyance. "We're not dating. And it's not like he's ever done anything like this before."
     "Maybe not, but it looks bad when a member of the Council gets into a fight," Minho says as we reach the Homestead door. He opens it for me, to my surprise. "So just wait till morning and keep him out of trouble from now on, alright?"
     Resisting the urge to roll my eyes again, I nod and climb the stairs to the third floor.
~~~~
     I'm about to collapse onto my bed when I hear a knock on the door.
     Conscious of the fact that I should be careful who I "invite" into my room from now on, I tiptoe across the room and crack the door open.
     "Thomas?" I guess, struggling to make out his features in the poor lighting.
     "Yeah," his low voice confirms. "Can I come in?"
     I open the door all the way and he steps inside.
     "I have something for you." He reaches into his pocket and pulls out...
     A key.
     "What's it for?"
     Thomas holds it out to me and I take it from him.
     "It unlocks the Pit," he says. I squint up at him, about to say that I don't think this is allowed, when he explains, "Minho told me you were upset because you didn't get to say goodnight to Newt. So..." He gestures to the key in my hand. "You won't let him out, though, will you?"
     "No."
     Thomas tilts his head slightly like he doesn't believe me. So I add, "I promise."
     He nods, satisfied.
     "Well, goodnight then," he says awkwardly, moving toward the door. "Just get that back to me in the morning, okay?"
    "I will," I assure him, already moving to put my shoes on.
     Thomas slips back into the hallway and shuts the door quietly behind him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't know what to say and I'm craving chocolate rn so I'll see ya later!😂