PART TWENTY-THREE

Since I'm going to publish the Gally fanfic soon, I'll probably start updating about once a week from now on❤️
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     I carry the laundry supplies back to the kitchen, but I don't go inside because I don't want to have to explain why my clothes are drenched. The humidity is making them stick to my skin so I hurry to my room and change quickly.
     As I start to walk out, I pass by the mirror and it makes me pause.
     I narrow my eyes at myself, at my messy hair and the heavy burden that's evident in my eyes. I breathe deeply, staring myself down, assessing and judging every movement I make.
What will Winston think? I wonder, knowing I'll have to go to the Blood House sooner or later.
I shake my head, still watching the mirror.
     You're too hard on yourself, someone says, and I know immediately who it is. You don't have to be perfect.
     Forcing Newt's voice out of my head, I stalk out of the room, closing the door loudly behind me.
~~~~
"Frypan?" I call as I enter the kitchen.
"Hey, Y/N," he replies. "What's up?"
I swallow. "Um, I have some news I want to share with you."
"Well, I feel honored," he says playfully.
I give him a light smile, but on the inside I'm frantically trying to figure out how to tell him about Winston. I'm annoyed at myself for even bringing it up, but I know I need to rehearse what I'm going to say when I finally visit the Blood House.
Clearing my throat, I begin, "I had a flashback last night and...I found out that Winston is my brother."
"Really?" he asks, grinning. When I nod in confirmation, he says, "That's awesome, Y/N! What does he think about it?"
I avert my eyes. "Well...I haven't actually told—"
"Then what are you doing here?!" Fry exclaims disbelievingly. He starts to shoo me out of the kitchen. "You go tell him right now!" he orders, voice stern but eyes smiling.
I laugh, holding up my hands. "Okay, okay, I'm going."
                                     ~~~~
     Upon reaching the Blood House, I hesitate for a moment before pushing the door open. Many fears and emotions run through me but I do my best to ignore them as I walk in.
     My eyes scan the room and pass over each Slicer before settling on my brother.
     "Winston," I breathe.
     Saying his name feels so different now.
     One by one the Slicers notice my presence and stop what they're doing, until one of them finally nudges their Keeper in the shoulder.
     "Winston?" I call tentatively as he turns.
     He walks over to me, waving at the others to get back to work.
     "What're you doing here, Y/N?" he asks.
     I swallow. "Can we talk outside?"
     He frowns. "Why?"
     "Just come on," I say impatiently, leading him out the door.
"What's this all about?" he asks, shutting the door behind us.
I freeze for a second as all of the words I attempted to prepare suddenly escape me.
"Um..." I stutter. "Would you believe me if I told you..." I almost come right out and say it, but instead I finish by saying, "If I told you I got a memory back?"
"Really?" He raises his eyebrows, intrigued. "Why are you telling me, though?"
Clearing my throat, I reply, "Because you..." I exhale and choke out, "Winston, you're my brother."
Silence settles over us for a long moment.
"You're serious?" he finally says.
I nod slowly.
Then he grins. "Y/N, I can't believe this!" he exclaims, laughing. "This is amazing!"
I smile and ask, "Do you want to eat supper together?"
"Of course!" He throws an arm around my shoulder. "Come on, sis!"
     He'd better not start calling me that, I think, smiling again. But I don't say anything—yet; I don't want to ruin the moment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't know about this one...😬 I tried😂