PART ELEVEN

I hope you're all staying healthy during this crazy time!🙏

Also, I'd welcome any tips on how to attract more readers to my writing!✍️
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     I sit down next to Newt at breakfast, not planning on telling him about the encounter with Gally; I don't want to be "that girl".
     Then again, I'm the only girl in the Glade, so I'd be "that girl" either way...
     I realize I've been spacing out and quickly glance over at Newt.
     His gaze is fixed on my wrists.
     Uh-oh...
     They don't look that bad, but they're still ringed faintly in red.
     "Y/N." He looks at me with concern in his eyes, "What happened?"
     "Um, noth—"
"Don't lie to me, Y/N," he orders.
I sigh and reluctantly tell him what happened.
                                     ~~~~
When I finish, he has this far-away, angry look in his eyes as he stands up, pushes away from the table, and says, "Don't listen to a word that slinthead says." He stares down at me. "I'll see you later." Then he stalks off.
                                      ~~~~
     I return to the kitchen once I'm done eating, fully expecting to help Frypan get lunch started, but instead he sends me out to wash the towels.
     I grab the stuff I need and head into the woods toward the brook.
~~~~
When I'm about halfway done with the towels, I pause and listen to the relaxing sound of the stream.
All of a sudden, I hear distant voices coming from my left. I can't see anyone through the trees, though, so they must be fairly far away.
I start to go back to my work when the voices get louder. I can distinguish two different people talking, and they sound upset.
I get to my feet and walk slowly in their direction.
Soon I realize the voices belong to—
Newt and Gally.
Oh, no.
I jog toward them. I can't tell what they're saying, but their raised voices worry me.
They finally come into sight. As I try to take in the scene and figure out what's going on, Newt suddenly punches Gally square in the jaw.
I break into a run and between labored breaths call out, "Newt!"
Of course, Gally punches him back, and as I reach them, it's becoming an all-out fight.
"Newt!" I shout, but neither of them notices me; they're focused on each other.
"Guys, stop!" I yell; they don't listen. Both of them have bloody noses now.
"STOP!" The volume of my scream makes them hesitate for only a moment, but it's long enough for me to wedge myself between them and push Gally away.
"Newt..." I breathe, my hand on his arm. "Why—"
Eyes trained on Gally, he replies, "He had no right to talk to you that way, and he went into your—"
"Hey, she let me in!" Gally shoots back. "I didn't break any rules!" With that, he storms off in the direction of the Med Hut.
"Newt, look at me," I say. He doesn't; he's watching Gally leave. "Newt." His eyes finally find mine. "I can't believe you did that," I whisper. "Fighting is never the answer."
"What else was I supposed to do?" he counters angrily. "Thomas will never put him in the Pit unless he clearly breaks the rules, so I have to protect you myself."
"You don't have to protect me."
"But I want to," he insists.
"Not like this," I reply firmly, shaking my head. I pull my hand away from his arm. "Let's go."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry that there were lots of small scenes!😬

Okay so in theory I'm going to try to keep these short from now on...I don't want any of my dear readers to get bored!😜

Btw, this one's dedicated to my girl pevensiewannabe for totally predicting the future🤪😂 Thanks for the awesome comments!😘