Chapter 7: Getting to know him again

His eyes were something magical. I had never seen those big and crystalline irises so close and full of life. 

He looked down, touched his side, and I noticed that his bloodstain had grown. He was wounded, and I had to prevent my coworkers from sending that helicopter. If they saw him, they would shoot him without asking.

"Come on. You have protected me, so I won't let anything happen to you, and we must treat that wound."

"I'll be fine. I just don't want to wait for our friend to wake up."

That surprised me.

"Isn't he...?"

"Dead? No." He smiled. "We are harder to kill than you think."

"Oh... Let's hurry up then."

We walked towards the building. There was a disaster inside, and sadness overwhelmed me to see the destroyed place where I had lived this short time. We headed to my room. I took my backpack and started putting some basic things away, trying to hurry up. 

I checked my phone, and it was dead. Shit. I had to call them and tell them it was okay not to send anyone. Anthony returned from his room after changing his clothes and cleaning the blood. He seemed to have covered his wound too. He was carrying a bag, so I took it in a rush and also put it in my backpack. 

I tried to put it on my back, but Anthony stopped me.

"Leave it. I'll take it," he said in a friendly tone.

"You are injured..."

We listened to the sirens of those of the Security Ward. I took his arm and rushed to get out of there. They shouldn't see him. We ran out of the parking lot and headed to the residential area.

"I have an aunt who lives not far away," I said. "I need to charge my phone."

It took us around an hour to get to my aunt's place. I knocked on the door, feeling a little nervous about how late it was, and I saw Anthony again. The blood was coming back to his side. 

After a moment, a female voice was present.

"Who's this?" she asked.

"Aunt Carmen, it's me..."

My aunt opened the door immediately and hugged me when she saw me.

"Thank heavens you are safe! We saw the news, the attack on your laboratory, and..." She noticed Anthony, and after looking at him closely, she looked back at me in horror. "His eyes..." 

I turned to look at him too and jumped from the scare. Oh, shoot! The light from the entrance had revealed his big irises and made his pupils constrict. I had forgotten that detail. I was not used to it yet.

"He's not bad, aunt, seriously," I tried to calm her and myself. "I've known him for a while. He has also saved my life. Please, we need to stay here, just tonight..." I pleaded.

"If you really trust him... I will let you sleep here," she accepted fearfully, and I hugged her while thanking her. "They also make you curious, just like your mother."

Remembering her, I closed my eyes for a few seconds and nodded.

My aunt rushed us in. Inside were her two children watching television. A small ten-year-old boy and a sixteen-year-old young girl turned to see us and stood with their mouths open.

"Kids," said my aunt. "Your cousin will spend the night here. I want you to please..." She was silent for a second. "Stop looking at the young man and listen to me!" the woman claimed, interrupting her last babble.