012

Your Mom places the journal slowly on the table, where you were having your breakfast. She stares at you, awaiting your reaction.

You furrow your eyebrows, confusion evident on your face. You then read the written title on the book, your mouth slightly agape. Your journal.

It's been minutes since you're sitting there, without reacting, then looking at your Mom.

"You-You didn't read my journal, did you?"

"I just want you to open up to me, baby. You think I don't hear you cry at night almost everyday? You think I don't see you struggling to cope with everything even though it's been a year already since your Dad and I divorced? Do you think you can easily fool me into thinking you're okay?"

You look down. A heaviness engulfs your chest. Something in you tells that today was going to be one of the worst days of your life. This is not how you wanted your early Sunday to be.

"I did ask you to go to therapy, but I didn't want you to unless you wanted to. I didn't want to force you. So I had no choice, but to find out using other ways so that I could help you."

You purse your lips, "So..you did read my journal."

"I had no other way, baby. I'm sorry about that-"

Slowly you get up from your seat,
"I would have appreciated if you'd left me alone for a little longer."

Before opening the door, you turn, "And Mom. How could you ask me to open up to you when you yourself cry, hiding from us?"

With that you leave the house, your Mom taken aback.

She sits on the chair, rubbing her face in exhaustion and propping her face with her palms.

She felt terribly bad to have read the diary. But seeing your once cheery daughter now crying for a father who isn't even worth it, hurts her the most. She agrees she sometimes hides and cries.

She had moved on from the man she had been together long ago. Dr. Patel had realized that she didn't need a man who didn't love him. Who wouldn't think of his daughters when he cheated, when he betrayed.

However, she also understood how you missed your father. You and Riya loved him so dearly, and you had received the wonderful gift of betrayal from him.

She cries because she knows how much the both of you love him. She tries hard to fulfill the role of both the parents and she misses something everytime.

Mom, we are always going to stay together, right?

Your Mom stares at the photo she has of you and your sister on the table. Tracing her fingers on the photo, she has the glimpses of you siblings when you were younger.

Tears welled up in her eyes.

Smaller footsteps make their way downstairs, her little self yawning and rubbing her eyes.

Her eyes widened when your Mom sniffled.

Riya frowns, "Mom, are you crying?"

word count : 502