Chapter 7

Please don't kill me. Hope you enjoy this chapter!

"But the worst enemy you can meet will always be yourself; you lie in wait for yourself in caverns and forests. Lonely one, you are going the way to yourself! And your way goes past yourself, and past the seven devils! You will be a heretic to yourself and witch and soothsayer and fool and doubter and unholy one and villain. You must be ready to burn yourself in your own flame: how could you become new, if you had not first become ashes?" -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Chapter Seven:

It was near noon when they all heard the rustling in the bushes. Naruto threw a Kunai at the sound and Sakura and Sasuke went to inspect it. It turned out to be a white bunny, a fact that both Sakura and Sasuke missed, but Naruto was already searching the nearby trees, trying to find the owner.

"Duck!" Kakashi yelled and everyone dropped to the ground, Kakashi helping Tazuna.

A large sword appeared where their heads were and hit a tree. A man with bandages wrapped around his face stood on the sword, facing away from them.

Naruto swallowed down the memory of a dying Zabuza who just wanted to go where Haku went. The memory of Sasuke nearly dying and Haku taking Kakashi's Chidori in the chest. He had forgotten about this first mission after everything that had happened. He swallowed back his anxiety. His thoughts screamed murderer at him and he tried to ignore it like always

His ears twitched, trying to find his companion, whom he could smell. Fresh snow and grass right after it rains. Two scents that shouldn't go together, but that did.

The man slowly turned to face the small group. "Oh, look. It's Kakashi of the Sharingan, copier of a 1000 Jutsus." Sasuke tensed, glancing at his Sensei.

"Zabuza, Demon of the Mist."

Naruto cocked his head, "What is a demon doing going after a mere bridge builder?" He called out, trying his best to keep his voice steady. Trying his best to swallow the tears building in the corners of his eyes.

"I need the pay that Gato is going to give me for killing the bridge builder getting on his nerves."

"What would stop him from just killing you? He doesn't sound like a guy who keeps his promises." Naruto spat back, his irritation at the man's stupidity climbing rapidly.

Zabuza and Kakashi stared at the blond-haired kid. "What?" Naruto asked innocently.

Zabuza howled with laughter and even Kakashi chuckled. Naruto was unpredictable. "What do you suggest I do? I no longer have a place to go."

Naruto tilted his head, "You can help us defeat Gato and get this guy's village back on its feet for starters." Naruto started, jerking a thumb in the direction of Tazuna. "It probably won't give you a whole lot of money, but it would free you from Gato's influence for a while."

At this point, Kakashi, Sasuke, Sakura, and Tazuna all stared at Naruto like he had lost his mind, which wasn't far from the truth. On the inside, he was screaming at himself for not trying. For not helping them when they first met. For causing their deaths and the deaths of his friends because of his indecisiveness. His fists curled, drawing blood again.

Kakashi's nose twitched, smelling the blood and he had a strong urge to pet the boy again. He gently placed a hand on the boy's blonde head and felt Naruto tense. This time it really wasn't a flinch. He didn't jump, his muscles just froze. Kakashi didn't know if that was better than flinching, but he was glad that the boy didn't try to shake him off again.