Dreaming

Leafy wasn't used to dreams, as she wasn't always allowed to move so freely. Most of them were normals dreams, and some were visions of the future. However tonight she saw the past, as she laid beside this boy.

— —

In the middle of spring, rain dropped onto the ground, splashing into a million atoms. It poured hard, as if a storm was to happen. People were talking, whispering, and panicking. An oil lit lantern was placed close to the open window, giving it a clear view of the beauty of natural destruction.

The noises seemed to simmer down, as the people stopped panicking. A human went nearby the lantern, and lit it up. Inside the lantern was a flame, flying in the air. It moved, danced, as it watched the rain pour. The fire must be thinking.

High above the lantern was a tree branch, holding fresh fruits. Ants ran for their lives, crawling down to their nest as the wind grew stronger and stronger. The wind drove millions of leaves and branches off, and further away. A loose leaf was hanging onto a stem went it broke, and flew to the window.

The fire, it watched the leaf dance down, to the window, and to him. It was magical. The leaf just glided in front of his eyes, like an angel. The window suddenly closed, by some pair of weird sausages. It was a human.

The fire however, did not mind the human as he stared at the leaf who just arrived.

The leaf saw him too.

They gazed at each other, and smiled.

The leaf was staring at a magnificent fire, and the fire was looking at her.

Oh, they seemed to belong with each other.

"What are you doing here?" Asks the fire to the leaf.

The leaf smiled at him. "I just happen to come unto your humble home."

The fire was glad, as maybe this was the gift of the gods to him.

"What's your name?"

The leaf thinks, as she doesn't know her name. "I don't know. My mother tree told me that names weren't as much important."

The fire thought of it too, as he doesn't know his name as well. "Why don't we name each other?" He asks, and leaf agreed. However they couldn't come up with a name to label such a pretty object.

"Have you thought of anything?" He asks to the leaf, as she shook her head.

"Oh! I know what your name could be."

"What is it?" Asked the fire, who beamed at her statement.

"Adonis." Says the Leaf.

The fire accepted it as his name, and named the leaf, "Aphrodite."

The tale of Aphrodite and Adonis was a play by the Gods, where Zeus had gotten enough of Aphrodite's boasting, and made her fall in love with a mortal.

The leaf and the fire soon talked, keeping a distance away from each other. Though life was short for the leaf, she was at least glad to see a miracle that she would live quite long.

Every time the fire told a story, the leaf would listen, and laugh together with him. Though they just had met, being the only ones who could communicate with each other, they were happy to be at each others company.

The leaf told tales of what her mother tree had told her about, such as the Gods, and the life of a plant. They won't live long, and might be cultivated by man. The leaf sighed, as she told him how glad she was to meet the fire.