Chapter 3

The elevator doors slid open and three people in their twenty's stepped out. They walked into the main room and Rachel and Gar walked in to meet them.

"You have no idea how much this place missed you." Rachel said and smiled widely.

"This place?" The platinum blonde that had just entered asked.

"Mostly just me," Rachel said and smiled, embracing the woman.

"And me too," Gar added, hugging the woman as well.

Jason stood by the fireplace, observing and Katarina stayed close to the door. The new comers threw a few glances her way, obviously questioning who she was and why she was there.

"So, where's Kory?" Rachel asked, looking around at the three.

"She sort of... vanished," the black haired woman answered.

"What do you mean by vanished?" Rachel asked, looking over at the other woman.

"I don't know, she's not answering her phone." She said with a slight shrug of her shoulders.

Rachel sighed and looked away.

"But you know, she mentioned she wanted to see Florida so I just figured she made an Irish accent and took a little trip." She added and Rachel nodded.

"Were you followed?" Dick asked, entering the room. He had his arms folded across his chest and was watching the three that had entered.

"We shell gamed before we knocked," the man replied, he was a rather intimidating figure though if Katarina had to guess, the two women were probably equally as powerful, if not more. "Covered our tracks," the man finished.

"Can you guys give us a minute please?" Dick asked.

Rachel and Gar nodded, leaving the room through another doorway. Katarina followed silently, and she could feel the newcomers glancing over at her as if assessing a possible threat. Everyone here is paranoid, Katarina thought to herself, then again, I'm not one to talk.

"You too Jason." Dick said. Jason glanced between Dick and the new group before following Katarina out of the room.

———

Dick, Donna, Dawn and Hank were gathered in the control room looking up at the computers. They finished watching the video of Rose fighting and escaping. The small group had also just learned that Deathstroke was alive and well and in their city. It was not a good moment, and it was about to get worse.

"Wait so who is she?" Donna asked, turning to face Dick.

"Rose," he paused for a moment, "Wilson." He finished. "Deathstrokes daughter."

"You have Slade Wilson's daughter in the other room?" Dawn asked incredulously.

"You're fuckin with us right?" Hank asked, crossing his arms across his chest.

"I didn't know who she was when I picked her up," Dick explained, keeping his voice level.

"And now you do and she's still here!" Donna snapped, her voice rising.

"Well obviously it's a concern," Dick replied.

"A concern? Dick it's pathological. I get you have a soft spot for strays but she can't stay here!" Dawn argued.

"Deathstroke is why we shuttered this place. We limped away. I didn't come back for a round two." Donna said, her voice filled with emotion.

"Wait, then who's the other girl?" Hank asked, glancing back up at the screen for a moment before looking back at Dick.

"Her name's Katarina. I picked her up yesterday. We haven't had time to look into her past, but someone's after her. And angry enough that they destroyed an entire building just to get her." Dick said, turning away from the screen to face Hank and the other two.

"You need to look into her." Dawn said quietly. "She could be dangerous."

"You guys came here to catch Dr. Light. Let's catch Dr. Light. The girls are my problem." Dick said and walked out of the control room without another word.

———

"Who are they? And who's Dr. Light?" Katarina asked the group as they walked down the hall.

"Those were some of the old titans." Gar answered, stopping in the hallway and turning around to face her. 

"Hank, Dawn and Donna. Hank and Dawn are Hawk and Dove and Donna is Wonder Girl!" He said excitedly, a wide grin on his face.

"And who's Dr. Light?" She asked again, tilting her head to the side.

"One of their old enemies, he has a vest that helps him absorb and control light. He's back," he replied, his smile slowly disappearing.

Katarina nodded. She had been absorbing every little piece of information she could recently. She wanted to learn as much as she could about her current home and the people that had taken her in. Well, less of a home and more of a temporary place to stay for her. She didn't plan on staying for long.

"Well, have a good night Katarina." Gar said and smiled before turning and walking down the hall.

He opened one of the doors and entered the room, closing the door behind himself. It was probably his room. She glanced around the now empty hallway. Rachel and Jason had disappeared while she and Gar had been talking.

She tried to remember which room they had said could be hers. She finally settled on a door that she was nearly certain they had showed her earlier. Her hand reached out and rested on the handle of the door. She finally twisted the handle and stepped into the room.

It was empty and impersonal. Only the basic necessities sat around the room and they were all the same shade of dark grey. It was surprisingly comfortable. Katarina walked over and sat down on the bed. She slowly slid her dirty shoes off and set them quietly on the floor.

She let herself fall backwards onto the mattress. She stared up at the ceiling, her mind surprisingly calm. She had a feeling that this place wouldn't be the worst place to stay for a little while. She soon drifted out into the darkness of sleep.