Chapter 5

Chapter 5: The Truth

Nik

We walk into the kitchen and see her with a letter. When she is finished reading it Hayley tells her that she is heading out. I watch as her mouth opens to say something to me, but she shuts it and nods at Hayley. She looks at me and asks if I'm coming with her and I shake my head. I tell her that I need to talk to Bella. She looks over at Bella with concern written all over her face. I knew Bella was looking for answers and I wonder what was in the letter.

"If you want I'll come by tomorrow and help you get stuff moved around." She smiles at Bella.

"I'll give you a call. Maybe you can help me find a job," she says.

"We'll talk tomorrow. See you later Nik," she says walking out of the house.

Bella

After we hear the door shut I look back down at the letter flipping it over. I see something else written on the back so I skim through it. My gran tells me that Nik is a werewolf and a vampire hybrid. She tells me that I would be a hybrid as well if I were to be changed. She says I'd be a witch and a vampire hybrid. She then goes to tell me that she knew of the coven in Forks and there are also traditional vampires out there as well. Nik asks if he could get another glass of bourbon and I tell him where it's at. I then tell him that when I ran out I wouldn't be able to get anymore as I wasn't twenty one. He tells me he'd get some in case he or his brother were spending time at my house.

"Can I ask you something?" I look at him.

"You just did, but I'm sure that's what you meant. Ask away," he says.

"Did you know of a Marie Swan?" I ask.

"Marie was a very good friend of mine. How do you know of that name?" He asks looking at me.

I hand him the letter in my hand and tell him to read it. He asks if I'm sure and I tell him that Marie wrote it, so I'm sure that he could read it. I wondered what was going through his head as he read it because I was feeling very confused right about now. I had many questions and it seemed like Nik was the only one who would answer them.

Nik

She hands me the letter and tells me to read it. I ask if she is sure and she tells me Marie wrote it so she was fine with me reading it. I couldn't believe that she was asking about Marie. Marie and I were really good friends and I was really upset when she passed away. I was heartbroken to learn that the once person I could trust with anything was no longer with us.

I look down at the letter in my hand and read it. As I read it I realize that the little Isabella she was always talking about could be Bella standing in front of me. I look at the Dear part again and see that it's to Isabella.

"You're the Isabella she was always speaking about," I say looking at her.

"I guess so, I wasn't aware she was talking about me," she says, wiping the tears from her eyes.

"She loved you very much and I could tell from the way she spoke of you. She always had a glow about her when your name came up in conversation. So there were Cold Ones and you were somehow involved. Would you care to explain how, love?" I ask.

"Can we do this sitting down? I've been on my feet most of the day and it is really a long story," she says.

I pick her up and carry her to the living room. I sit her on the couch and head back to the kitchen. I open her fridge and see several bottles of wine. I grab a bottle and a glass. I take them to the living room and she asks what I'm doing. I tell her that if she has had a hard day, a glass of wine will be what she needs to help her relax.

"You want to know my story?" She looks at me.

I nod and she takes a huge drink of her wine. She tells me how she lived with her mother and would visit her dad every summer until the summer before her thirteenth birthday because they didn't have the money that year. She tells me how she took care of her mother instead of the other way around. She then tells me how she moved in with her dad as her mom got remarried and wanted to travel. When she got there she met someone. She found that he and his family aren't normal, but it didn't change anything.

She tells me the beginning of her story. She shows me the scar the hunter left her. She tells me how they threw her a birthday party although she never asked for one. She finishes off the story with how he broke up with her in the woods shortly after her birthday party.

I sit there and stew in my anger, not really sure what to say to her. Marie knew her granddaughter was my mate and yet she never said anything to me about it. Not that I could fault her for that because if I would've known about Isabella, I would've gone after her. Marie must've known she would show up here or Mystic Falls and knew she would run into me in one of the two. Marie, she was more than my friend, she was my personal witch. Now that she is gone, I'm not so sure what I'm going to do.