Chapter 23 - Trip

Been a long time. Better late than never.

[Chapter 23 - Trip]

The Junior-Senior Camping Trip is always scheduled a few days after Halloween, held in a camping ground in Orlando. Its purpose is to strengthen bonds between juniors and seniors. Principal Peterson said it was time for a change this year. Whatever change she meant better be fun for us seniors.

As I have heard over the years, the camping trip is a great opportunity for couples and random people to get laid, mainly losing their virginities. A junior is paired with a senior, both having the same gender to sleep in a tent, and they're expected to get to know each other. But most people are forced to leave their own tents for the night because there are guys who just cannot get their pants closed. The school knows about this but they still push through.

Oliver is beside me, El is with Sasha, Dylan is with his stepbrother, Gavin, and to my surprise, Charlie is sitting with Willem. Cass is stuck in another school bus with the other juniors. Since no one wanted to sit with Carrie, she is stuck with Mr. Harris behind the bus driver. None of us say a word. The bus is still an hour away from Orlando.

Principal Peterson has a grin plastered to her face as she walks to my direction. Oliver trails behind her, sensing something shitty is about to happen. She greets me then glances down at her clipboard. I manage a smile. I eye Oliver, giving a what-the-hell-is-going-on look. He shrugs and nods to Peterson. "Viola, Oliver, you two are going to be partners for this trip."

"WHAT?" Oliver and I say in unison, horrified.

"That means when either one of you gets in trouble, both will suffer the consequences. You will sleep in the same tent, do most activities assigned to seniors together. In case you two are wondering why your pairing is boy-girl, senior to senior, that's because I thought it'd be great to have something new. The same pairing is made with the juniors. In each pairing, one is a stranger to the other, however, I made yours special." She winks.

Why the hell did she just wink?

"Enjoy, kids." She leaves us as we glare at her.

Should I be happy I am paired with Oliver? This boy-girl pairing clearly gives the others the opportunity of a lifetime to get laid in a school trip without hassle. I mean being paired with Oliver is a relief and better than anyone I am not close with.

Is not this trip's true purpose is to get to know other people?

I survey the other pairs around us. The boys are too thrilled. The girls are not, except the bitch squad. I immediately spot El with Dylan. They shake their hands, smiling. That is great, I think. Dylan knows how to handle people. He will get along with her. Carrie, Sasha, Zak, and Charlie are nowhere near us.

"I'm ecstatic, Vi." Oliver rhapsodizes.

I never thought about what happened at the cemetery back in Philly. It's a sensitive topic about Oliver and Charlie. It's better to leave those conversations alone.

"Why is that?"

He smirks. "We get to sleep in the same tent and I can stare at you the whole time you sleep. Isn't that be amazing? Following you won't be such a problem."

I roll my eyes. "Stalker."

I shiver at the thought of Oliver hovering while I am sleeping in the tent. Creepy.

Oliver sets up the tent as he forces me sit on the ground and stalk him. He has not carped about the pairing. I guess it would be such a waste to nag about something when you are powerless to do something about it.