Christmas Complications

I love Christmas Eve – pregnant or not, I am determined that I will enjoy it. Today is not the day that I am going to tell Mum because let's face it, I have seven months to do that. There's no point in ruining Christmas. Anyway, this could be my last Christmas (as the chances of Mum killing me are very high) so I might as well make the most of it.

I get up early and begin to wrap presents. Having a big family has advantages and disadvantages – the main disadvantage is the fact that we're all so bloody close so I have to buy presents for all of my cousins. I got Victoire a silver necklace – it wasn't too expensive, but it will match her near-silver hair. I bought Dom a book that she's been raving about for the past few months, The Catcher in the Rye – it's a Muggle book. I find that boys are very hard to shop for, so Hugo helped me in picking out a jumper for Louis – I doubt he'll appreciate it as we all get jumpers from Nana Molly every year anyway.

I got Molly and Lucy matching bracelets – Uncle Percy and Aunt Audrey love when their daughters are matching. I find it pathetic, but if it keeps them happy then who am I to stand in their way? I bought Roxanne some make-up, even though I know Uncle George will go crazy. I got Fred a book called "Number One Quidditch Teams of the 20th Century". It shows Chudley Cannons to be one of the worst teams of the century – why did Dad pick such a loser team?

It's always difficult to shop for the Potter cousins – what do you get the family that has everything? James is not the intellectual reading type – he's more into practical jokes. But he has everything that Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes ever sold and they can easily outstrip Zonko's any day. He knows every single passageway out of Hogwarts, he has his father's invisibility cloak and he has the best broomstick around. So what did I get him?

A pair of socks.

Al was much easier to shop for. As he has an interest in the Muggle world, I got him a mobile phone. It was expensive, but I know he'll love it. I have one too, even though I can't use it at Hogwarts. I got Lily a small pair of gold earrings that are in the shape of snitches. Lily is showing some real promise as a Quidditch player. She plays by herself most of the time, but sometimes with me. James and Al know nothing of their sister's talent, so she usually breaks into their broom shed and goes flying while they're out. And for some reason, this makes her mum laugh.

So when all of the presents are wrapped, we go to The Burrow, Nana and Grandad Weasley's house. It's pretty much a second home to me (Hogwarts being my first and my actual house being my third). We always go there on Christmas Eve to help with the preparations for the next day. See, all of the family go to the Burrow on Christmas Day, so there's loads to do. Dad usually complains about having to go and help decorate the house, but Mum forces him to anyway.

As soon as we walk in the door, I spot a twenty four year old man, today with dark blue hair and his usual magnificent brown eyes – Teddy Lupin. I run to him and he catches me, embracing me in a hug that I'm sure isn't good for the baby. But right now I don't care very much – I'm hugging my best friend.

"Wotcher Rosie! How are you?" he exclaims.

We break apart and I only now notice that I'm welling up. Teddy looks concerned – he's noticed I'm crying, but he doesn't say anything. He just subtly jerks his head towards the living room door. I nod and we go into the empty room. Teddy closes the door and casts Muffliato on the door so nobody in the kitchen can eavesdrop.

"What's up Rosie? You look terrible," he says, sitting down next to me on the chair.

"Thanks," I mutter. That's the last thing I need to hear.

"You know what I mean. You're so pale and skinny."

"Are you saying I was fat before?"