Going Home

I'm so glad that tomorrow I will be returning to Hogwarts after the worst Christmas break in history. Sometimes I think that I'm doing so much destruction to my entire family that I should just move to a far off country like...Cuba? Yes, Cuba. Then everyone would be a lot happier. I'd probably even be happier – a single British teenage witch mother living in communist Cuba...what could be better?

I can't look Dom in the face since New Years Eve. I have this horrible guilty feeling in the pit of my stomach every time she smiles at me or is nice to me. She's not only my cousin, she's my best friend and I've betrayed her. I know that I'm pregnant with her boyfriend's kid, but at least I could have told her that that had happened before they were together. Now I really have royally screwed up.

Luckily I haven't seen Scorpius since the party. According to Al he had to go back to his parents' house because of some family issues that he didn't feel like discussing. Oh well, every cloud has a silver lining, right? True, it's quite a dark cloud and the silver lining is so thin that you can barely see it, but it's there.

Speaking of family issues, I think my parents are on the verge of killing one another. Not one day has passed in the last week without a shouting match between the two of them. I'm starting to consider doing what Hugo does and blaring my music so loud that it drowns out their furious roars at one another. And they're not even fighting over my pregnancy anymore. They fight over everything. And it's obvious that there's something else at the root of their argument that neither is mentioning.

Right now, I'm in my room packing my trunk for tomorrow. Mum and Dad are screaming as usual, so I'm singing "Tomorrow" from the musical Annie to drown them out. I'm also trying to concentrate on the packing (and of course the lyrics of the song) to take my mind off Scorpius. Because he's pretty much all I've thought about all day and I can't figure out why. This time two weeks ago, I was fine. I had no impure thoughts about him, I didn't know I was pregnant, I could talk and laugh and joke with Dom until the cows came home. But now my heart does this little flutter thing when I think of him, but I'm putting that down to heartburn and nothing else.

Why did the fricking cows have to come home?

"GET OUT!"

Oh dear. I haven't heard Mum scream like that since...well, around ten years ago. I shut up singing and I hear that Hugo has turned off his music. We both open our bedroom doors at the same time and look at one another, mirroring each others look of fright. We creep to the top of the stairs to get a view of what's going on. Mum and Dad are standing in the hallway. Mum's face is red and blotchy, Dad looks really angry and they're both facing each other with their wands drawn.

"Get out of my house," Mum says steadily.

"This is my house too!" Dad shouts back.

"We'll see what the lawyers have to say about that," she hisses.

"The lawyers?" Hugo whispers and I shush him.

"Stop threatening me with the lawyers, Hermione. Do you think that just because you work in the Law Enforcement Department that they'll let youkeep the kids?"

"You're not fit to be their father!" Mum screams, "Look how you've been treating Rose over the past few weeks!"

"It's not my fault she's taking after you," Dad snaps.

I have no idea what he means by that, but Mum looks really offended and slaps Dad so hard across the cheek that she has to cradle her own hand afterwards.

"Violence," Dad says, rubbing his cheek, "you wait til your 'lawyers' hear about this."

"Shut up," Mum hisses, "and get out of my house."