Two

It was a twelve hour drive to New Orleans. By the time I made it to the French Quarter, it was nine o'clock in the morning. I parked in front of a quaint little inn. I'd Googled cheap hotels in town before I'd arrived. This inn had three stars and was sixty dollars a night. It couldn't get any better than that, I thought. Though, when I got to my room, my mind raced a mile a minute.

What the hell was I thinking? Driving all the way to New Orleans with a plethora of questions and a single duffle-that was grounds for certified insanity....wasn't it? I mean there was absolutely no way I could get answers to any of my burning questions just out of spontaneity-a child's dream. No, I was going to have to be levelheaded in all of this.
My problem now was that all of this panic came rushing out of me once I sank down on the edge of the bed in my hotel room. The room was dated: faint yellow walls, an old turn of the century, wooden bed with two matching night stands on either side; the wooden floor was probably the most up to date thing into the room: polished tigerwood. Across from the bed was a short chest-of-drawers with I simple lamp sitting atop of it.

My eyes went back and fourth from my duffle bag sitting on the floor next to my feet and the door. I could leave, but I wouldn't get any answers if I did. How would I even know where to start looking?

"This was a mistake." I muttered to myself; cupping my face in my hands with my elbows resting on my knees.

My thoughts were racing a mile a minute. I paced the room for a good hour before I finally decided the for right now-sleep was the best option for me right now. I'd regroup after a good rest and hopefully then, my anxiety wouldn't get the best of me.

I swept my black, bone-straight, waist length hair up into a loose bun and kicked off my black Dr. Martens boots. I peeled off my dark washed jeans; leaving on my white tank top and underwear. By the time my head hit the pillow, I was out like a light.

I knew what it felt like to dream-to actually let myself sink to the realm of my subconscious mind-this was not that feeling. It was more of an effort, like my conscious mind,my subconscious mind and some...other we're all having a tug of war. Through sleep I could feel a slitting headache coming on amid the struggle, though I couldn't bring myself to wake up.

The headache instantly came to a halt and I somehow knew my subconscious and conscious mind had both lost. I wasn't sure how, but it felt like my inner self had completely submitted to this new force with open arms.

The music was the first thing I heard before I opened my eyes. The Cure's 'A Forest' was playing from somewhere nearby. I felt a cool surface underneath my cheek and rose my head slowly from the table I was seated at in a far, dark corner of what looked to be a speakeasy. I let my eyes wander around the room and I was stunned; everything was washed in low lit, seductive red. The room's wall we're all covered in deep rouge curtains so I couldn't tell if the club was street level or below ground. My guess was underground.

I stood from the table and I gasped when I caught sight of the black, beaded fabric that clung snugly to my body and stopped at my knees. I was sporting a backless, deep-v, halter dress that looked more expensive than any article of clothing I'd ever own in my life. Out of fate-or pure coincidence-I spotted a floor length mirror next to the table and rushed over to it; gasping at my reflection. The rouge-lipped starlet staring back at me was stunning with retro, red carpet curls and deep-dark skin that shimmered a faint gold glow.

"What the hell?" I said and watched her lips move in sync with my own in the mirror.

This definitely was no dream. I felt in my own flesh.

I turned from the mirror slowly, turning my attention to the bar top arranged in the center of the room. I walked towards it, staring down at the silver sandals that donned my feet. I caught multiple eyes in my direction as I made my way to the counter. The bartender was prompt. He was tall, ivory-skinned and quiet handsome. His light eyes were outlined with a thick layer of eyeliner and it enhanced his flawless face somehow. His light hair was held back with a ponytail at the nape of his neck and he wore all black.