Eight

I hadn't expected Delphine and Desire to take me to a jazz club. The place was two blocks away from bourbon street and the vibe was way more mature than we were. When we entered we should've been carded, but the dazed look on the bartender's face told me that one of the twins casts a charm or something.

The twins donned black minidresses and pumps, while I chose a gold halter top, black short shorts and strappy gold sandals. Delphine wore her long dreads up in a bun while Desire wore hers down. My hair was pulled back into a neat ponytail at the nape of my neck. Desire did our make up for the night and she was really good at it. Each of us looked bronze-kissed and smoldering.

The three of us found a table and sat; Desire flicked her wrist towards the bar and alerted the barkeep. He took our drink orders and retreated back to the bar to make them.

"Isn't this crowd a little old?" I commented.

Both the girls giggled and shared a devious grin.

"This is just a cover to make our great escape." Delphine sighed.

"Our great escape? I don't follow." I frowned.

"We're being tailed. Anjelica thinks we don't know that she has a security detail following our every move whenever we go out. We lose them a lot. It gets annoying after a while. It's mainly to make sure we have backup if we bump into Shadow Walkers." Desire finished.

"I thought she said that our powers are bound to us so the shadows couldn't hurt us." I rose a confused brow.

"She only told you that so you wouldn't freak out. Shadows may not be able to hurt us directly, but they can still fuck shit up around us if they wanted to." Desire shrugged.

"And Shadow Walkers are far worse. They loathe us." Delphine said.

"So how are we gonna ditch the guards?" I asked.

"Just follow our lead." Desire's crimson-coated lips curved into a devious grin.

The barkeep brought us our drinks and we downed them quickly. Then after a brief moment Delphine and Desire exchanged looks and nodded. Desire's green eyes flicked to me and winked as both the girls stood. Delphine left a hundred bill on the table before she and Desire headed towards the back of the bar. I followed close behind.

When we reached the bathroom, Delphine closed her eyes in what I expected her being in the midst of a spell. Her body shuddered slightly and suddenly the room around us blurred.

"What is happening?" I asked in confusion.

"She's cloaking us. The spell won't last long so we better get a move on." Desire nudged her sister.

Delphine's eyes flashed open and she shot her eyes to her twin. "I told you stop interrupting me while I'm in the zone."

"Girl, zone our ass' out of here." Desire rolled her eyes.

"We should be good now." Delphine informed. "We each have to hold hands. Don't break hands until the cloak wears off."

Desire and I nodded in agreement before we exited the bar, unseen. The cloak wore off just as we stepped onto bourbon street two blocks and five minutes later. The blurry film around us slowly vanished and the three of us dropped hands.

"That was incredible." I gasped.

"Oh, dear cousin, that was a parlor trick. That was nothing." Delphine giggles.

"Wait til you get your hands on the real stuff." Desire chimed in with a sinister smile.

"Here we are." Delphine said as we stumbled upon a black door with a neon green "W" glittering upon it.