Six

Colors danced off the willow trees around the bayou. I thought I was high or on a bad acid trip, but I decided I was dreaming. It felt like a dream. There was no other explanation I had of the flitting colors around me. The colors only last for a few moments before the darkness settled.

When I open my eyes again, I was surrounded in white. It took a couple seconds for my eyes to adjust, but once they did I made out the white sheer curtains of a canopy bed and the silk sheets and comforter that engulfed me. The feel of the silk against my skin made me feel as though I was floating.

I rose up slowly to take in the brightly lit room around me. The sunlight shown brightly through the French doors that I could tell lead out to a balcony. A dark wood vanity, matching chest of drawers, and Armoire sat upon the room. It looked as if I was in a room fit for a Disney princess.

When I stood from the bed I looked down at the peacock blue silk chemise that draped down to my knees. I spotted the matching robe at the foot of the bed and shrugged it on before I crept out of the bedroom.

When I open the door I was shocked to find a balcony wrapping around the entire second floor, allowing you to see the entire downstairs. I walked over and craned my neck to notice the same was said for the third floor too. This house was so wide and open.

I moved my gaze to the elaborate chandelier that hung from the ceiling in all its multicolored splendor. It made the house seem regal somehow.

"Good morning, my child." Anjelica's voice sounded from across the room. I jumped in surprise to find her cross-legged and seated in a wicker peacock chair. Her long braids spilled out over a white turban she wore. She wore a white chemise-similar to my own, only longer-and a matching robe.

"Good morning, grandmother." I said once my shock dissolved.

I padded around the balcony to reach her on the other side. Huge green plants and colorful flowers covered the balcony like an Egyptian oasis; I had to duck a few times to get by.

"Forgive the plants, cheré. I've asked Papa Endu to cut them, he just takes a strong liking to them. He's got an affinity for botany, you know. He can make anything grow." Anjelica informed once I reached her.

"How remarkable." I said, stroking a finger against a nearby calla lily.

"Did you sleep well?"

"Um, I think so. I don't feel like I've been sleeping so much as recharging." I shrugged.

"Ah, yes. Well, getting your powers back after being bound for most your life will do that to you. You'll adjust, I promise." She smiled sweetly.

"Good to know." I grinned back at her and crossed my arms.

Anjelica's eyes scanned over me is almost a stunned way that made me feel...uneasy.

"What?" I asked.

"Forgive me. I just-the likeness of you and my daughter, Monique is still a little uncanny. It's like taking a step into the past. The very fact that my baby had a baby of her own to share her same face. It makes me happy." She sighed and gently took my hand. "I'm so happy to have you back here. Home."

"I'm happy to be here. I just wish she was here too, ya know?" I shrugged slightly.

"I agree. But it's all nice just to have you here and safe the same. As for your mother, we've already started looking. When we find something, you'll know. I swear it." She squeezed my hand gently.

"Thanks." I gave a tight lipped grin before she stood from her chair and wrapped her arm around my shoulder.

"What do you say to some breakfast?" Anjelica asked.