Eleven

"Dorian." The raspy, wraith-like voice echos around in the darkness of my dreams.

"No! No! help me!" A man's voice shrieks in the darkness.

"You will never escape the Nether. You belong to the shadows now." The wraith voice says.

"No, please! No!" The man screams again. "Nooo! Amara! Help me!"

I tore myself out of my dreams and sit straight up in bed. My chest heaved air from my lungs and my mind raced from the nightmare. I allow my eyes to scan the familiar new room around me. Rubbing the back of my neck, I yank the covers off my legs and pad over to my bedroom window. The window overlooked the back of the house and to my amazement it was breathtaking. I could see into the solarium and past the terrace and open field that led to the boat house and tire swing. The bayou beyond looked incredible in the morning light.

It didn't take me long to get ready for my day. I took a shower; allowing the suds of soap to wash away the bad dream that painted my subconscious. When I finished I'd dressed in a short sleeve, V-neck white shirt and jean shorts. I tugged on my Dr. Marten boots before pulling my hair back to a ponytail at the nape of my neck and heading downstairs.

When I entered the dining room, the table was set for a breakfast of royalty. Delphine, Desire and Seraph all sat eating. Delphine and Desire both in animated conversation as Seraph had her nose in a book.

"Good morning, Amara." Delphine greeted when she spotted me enter.

"Good morning, Delphine. Good morning, Desire and Seraph. Where's the rest of the family?" I asked.

"Angelica set a meeting with the High Council of Witches last night. They're on their way to meet now." Seraph informed.

"Without us?!" Delphine, Desire and I all said in equal disbelief.

"Yes, without you all. The DiLioncourt witches poked the lioness, now they must answer for their crimes. They had no business taking Amara or attacking you girls last night." Thierry said as he strode into the room.

"How long ago did they leave?" I ask.

"About two hours ago. Why?" Seraph rose a quizzical brow.  

There was a tight knot that formed in my stomach as a strong feeling of unease arose.

"Relax, Amara. Have a seat, have some breakfast and we'll wait for everyone to join us back in a while." Seraph said.

I sat at the chair opposite of Seraph and dug into the smorgasbord bestowed before me. Everyone grew uncomfortably quiet as we all waited. After what seemed like an hour, we all heard the sound of tired approaching the house from outside. We all stood at once, rushing to the front porch.

Three black SUVs halted to a stop in the driveway and Anjelica and her guards emerged from the vehicles. Anjelica was dressed in a flare legged, pinstriped pantsuit and wide brimmed hat. She looked as if she just left a business meeting, though we all knew better.

Anjelica informed us on the gathering with the shadow walkers in the great room. She'd said that the meeting took place in the graveyard where Delphine, Desire and I were all attacked. Anjelica and her entourage were met with Alesmira, her daughter and Zachary as well as their guard. The Shadow walkers proposed a truce, seeing as their kind was undergoing new management. Alesmira's husband, Rhett, the grand master of the shadow walkers had died and she was left in charge to care for her kind.

"With the amount of people we've lost to them and you want to honor a truce with those white devils?" Thierry hisses across the room at Anjelica.

"Thierry, please. You know mama would never make a deal with those nutcases." Seraph chummed.