Chapter 7

She sat quietly at the edge of the bed. She flexed her foot just enough to loosen the stiffness of her ankle. She hesitated, and then slowly stood up.

Taking a few steps forward, she winced at the pain.

The cool swoosh of the door opened and with a blink of an eye before she lost her balance and slid to the floor, he was there beside her, holding her.

With her face buried in his shirt, she cried out. Her ankles began to throb.

"I fear this indicates you are not fully healed." He lifted her up and placed her back in bed.

He looked at her face the clear expression of pain creased her brow.

"Do want something for the pain?" He asked. Watching her immediately nod her head and dashing away a tear.

Immediately he stood and went for some warm tea.

Leaning back against the pillows, she closed her eyes.

The sleeping draught put in her tea dimmed her senses a bit. Drowsily she watched Dominic crawl to the opposite side of her. His voice began to fade. The warmth of his hand caressed her cheek. The scent of him, comforted her. She drifted off into a peaceful sleep her pain, but a memory.

The days passed by and recovery became more and more irritating for her. She detested not being able to move around freely.

She felt trapped, no different from what she felt at home. Angrily, she sat and looked at the bandages at her ankles. Miffed that she couldn't remember what happened. Did she jump from somewhere? Why were her clothes removed? She felt upset she was in this predicament.

He watched her from the door. Her mind was elsewhere.

Her mood he can tell was not a good one. Her eyes misted with unshed tears, just kept that blank stare. He watched as her hands flexed and unflexed into fists recalling her thoughts. Whatever it is, he needed to put her mind at ease.

With a brief tap, he entered.

Immediately he caught her attention and her mood changed. Her eyes lit up and held his gaze.

"We look very pensive today."

He watched her dash away a tear.

They grew silent.

"Do you miss your family, Emilia?" He looked at her with concerned eyes.

Lowering her head, she had no clue how to answer that question. She battled for an answer she could not find.

"The question m'lord is if they miss me?" She gently shrugged her reply.

His eyes saddened. How can someone not miss her? It was inconceivable to think they would not.

He tried to change up their mood.

"What exciting thing shall we do now?"

Her eyes widened with an idea. With an asking stare, she begged.

"Can we go riding?"

His eyebrow raised and he thought for a while.

"I don't see why not, it sounds like a great idea," He agreed.

With a smile, he carried her down to the stables. He sat her down on a large pile of hay as she watched him saddle and ready a horse.

She sat back and watched in awe how he easily prepared the large horse for their ride. Her focus was on the tight way how his trousers fit his muscular legs. His impressive shoulders moved beneath his white linen shirt, rolled up with the sleeves at his elbows. Her attention remained riveted on him until he turned and she quickly averted her gaze.