Chapter 21

The night was a shamble, Emilia never showed up and all were growing worried with her disappearance. Morning had come and still no sign of her nor Sarah.

Weary eyes watched each other. Agony stricken eyes around the room nervously looked at the clock above the mantle.

The soft sobs of Gertrude together with the Duchess just made things more gloom. Dominic paced while her uncle sat with his face in his hands.

Irritated her uncle stood. "She has to be around here somewhere." He fumed.

"This is just like her to run off, I pray she returns before VanCamp does." He added.

Dominic's incredulous stare caught Dimitri but he was too late to stop Dominic.

"You heartless bastard is that all you are worried about?" Dominic yelled.

"I should have never brought her back here."

"How dare you speak to me that way" the Duke raged.

"All of this is your fault, you just had to force a marriage upon her for your own gain." Dominic croaked with pain in his voice.

Dimitri immediately pulled him back trying to calm his anger.

The duke immediately stood before him ready for a fight.

"What I do with my nieces' well being is of no concern to you, McAllister." The duke hissed.

Inching closer trembling with rage wracked with so much emotion and tears in his eyes.

"It concerns me because it pertains to the love of my life." His feral gaze turned dark.

At that moment, the duke paled and stepped back holding his chest in disbelief.

All stood in shock at his confession.

"You bastard, tell me you did not dishonor my niece?" Margave yelled.

Dominic stood his ground ready for the onslaught of his actions.

The duke lunged at him and the scuffle began. The Duchess nervously cried then fainted at what unfolded before her. Dimitri dodged flying fists and the blows trying to separate the men.

Finally, Dimitri pulled Dominic back and away from the heated glare of Margave

Fists still clenched and breathing heavily he faced Margave, "Know this old man; she is all that I hold dear to me, I love her. If anything happens to her it will only fall on your head"

Adamant on not leaving, he stayed waiting for some news of where Emilia was.

It was an agonizing wait and the still no sign of Emilia.

Dimitri stood and looked at Dominic.

"Do you think she could have returned to Grisham?"

Silently he thought, it could be possible.

"I will ready a carriage; will you stay in case she returns?" Dominic worried gaze eased as Dimitri agreed.

"Go with care brother, I will keep her safe if she returns"

Hours had passed when Dimitri sat with the Duke and they spoke. The tap on the door followed by Jeoffry stopped their conversation.

"Lord Evers has arrived, your grace."

With a brief nod, Jeoffry stepped aside for Adam to enter. The grim look on his face was evident that he knew what happened.

Dimitri stood and excused himself so they could talk.