Chapter 10

The expanse of a week had gone, and everything returned to normal. Dominic sat and listened to Bufford's morning gossip candidly while pouring his tea. On strict orders, he was to check on the well-being of Emilia. All of his attention was on him when he relayed his messages about how she was doing.

"She is doing well, M'lord" Bufford nodded.

Dominic smiled to himself. He missed the little imp and her sweet ways. Thank goodness her return did not warrant suspicion or gossip, for that he was relieved.

"Are you going to visit her today M'lord?" Bufford asked.

Dominic sat back and smiled.

"Yes, Bufford I am."

With that said, Dominic ordered that the carriage pick him up.

His visits made her days much better. She had a radiant smile that just lit up her eyes when he visited. They went for a stroll throughout the garden with Sarah and Gertrude trailing not too far behind.

They giggled and whispered in awe of the sight of Emilia and Dominic together. There was no mistaking an attraction was evident between the two of them.

They walked over to a large oak tree and talked. He leaned against it and listened while she talked about her day. He looked down at the top of her head shiny dark brown tresses curled to her shoulder. He loved the way she wore it loose with bouncy curls. She looked up at him, smiled, and covered her face as she continued explaining her mischievous makings for the day.

During her piano lesson the piano somehow, inexplicably was missing a cord. Therefore, a tune was out of place and sadly, her lessons were canceled.

He chuckled and tapped her nose.

"You were gloating were you not?"

Coyly she looked away pointing up her nose.

"Au contraire M'lord, I gave my most saddened pitiful stare, and I cried." Her green eyes met his astonished gaze.

He shook his head laughing, he stared into green eyes that glistened with mirth.

"You are a little hellion!" he turned and leaned his back against the tree and folded his arms. He continued looking at her.

She impishly smiled and gave him a mock curtsey admitting that she was.

Such action had Dominic in a state of laughter that he pulled her close into a deep hug.

"Goodness, you light up anyone's day."

He pulled her hand into his arm, and they turned to walk back to the garden.

"M'lord?" Emilia looked up at him.

He looked down into her eyes.

"Are you going to the Wakefield ball?" She asked.

He scrunched his nose and looked into her beseeching stare. Her eyes went soft with wanting him to go.

He sighed.

He knew she did not like going to those affairs, but deep down, if he attended she will most likely go as well.

"I suppose I can go for a scant moment. Besides, I want to dance with the belle of the ball." He silently watched her eyes lower at his words, a sign of sadness in her eyes at the thought of him dancing with the belle of the ball and not her saddened her.

Such a look warmed his heart.

"Oh!" she whispered, looking away.

A teasing grin tugged at his lips.