Chapter 22

The lush countryside from the window looked bleak. The free will and spirited abandon she once possessed was slowly slipping from her. She sat by the large window in her grandfather's library ever so often looking for a book to read.

Turning away Sarah with the large tray of food after just keeping the apple, she picked off of it. She twirled it around before lifting it to her mouth and taking a bite. The nausea and queasiness did not make it any easier for her to eat.

She watched as the clouds darkened the morning sky. Slowly the sprinkle of rain could be heard. Her mind wandered with the day it rained when she and Dominic ran free and enjoyed the feel of the rain on them.

Lifting her knees to her chest and hugging them, her emotions got the best of her and she cried.

Dashing away a tear, she stood and walked over to put the book she had in her hands away.

******

Sarah immediately walked and answered the hard knock at the door.

Blue eyes looked angrily at Sarah. Stark shock was on her face with a mixture of sheer fright and relief.

She had pulled him into the kitchen away from the halls.

"I'm waiting Sarah, why did you not tell me she was pregnant?" He scowled.

Nervously she twirled the hem of skirts .

"I wanted to m'lord but I feared what would happen if such news got out" she whispered nervously.

"So you decided to follow her days away from her home putting your lives and my unborn childs' at risk?" He breathed.

She looked sadly into his angry gaze,and tried to explain.

Lifting his hand up not wanting to hear anymore his eyes softened.

"Where is she?" He begged.

"In the library" Sarah smiled with relief and tears in her eyes.

*****

She stood back eyeing the book she wanted on the third shelf. All of the bookcases were so high she blew a deep breath. Pulling a small stepladder close she climbed to the very last step. A bit miffed at her short stature she barely touched the third case standing on her toes she stretched. Her balance a little of the ladder began to shake and gave way beneath her. The soft scream escaped her lungs as she fell back grappling for the bookcase. Sheer fright caught in her throat and she dropped.

Strong arms caught her fast in mid air. Her breath lodged in her throat.

She was face to face with Dominic.

******

He stood quietly and watched as she stretched and hopped to get the book on the shelf. Her attempt was cut short when she lost her footing and the stair toppled beneath her.

Fright lodged in his chest as she fell back.

Quickly he walked closer just in time to catch her. His heart raced with her scream.

She fell into his arms.

Face to face, their heavy breathing mingled. He held her in his arms, content to hold her this close again.

"Hello, beautiful," he whispered to her.

He held her gaze for a while. She slowly looked down. His warmth and nearness kindled a desire in her. Her voice was sweet and soft.

"You can put me down, now m'lord."

"What if I do not want to put you down?" His voice was barely a whisper.