Prologue

A/N: pre-warning italics are her thoughts

"We only hear the questions for which we are in position to answer." 

~Friedrich Nietzsche

Dexter sat at her desk in her room contemplating whether she should follow through with this. She sighed leaning back into the chair and decided 'fuck it'. She shot off from the chair, grabbed the letter from the desk and marched out of the room.

 She paused when she got to the doorway and turned around, she looked at the room one more time before shutting the door. She walked through the house with her backpack full of supplies. She knew she had to be quick it was only a matter of time someone came looking for her. She dropped the letter on the dining room table and ventured onto the front door. She stuck her head out the door and looked around, she saw no one who would question her so she walked on.

She felt bad for just leaving her family but she had to do it. She wanted to be on her own for a while, she didn't know who she was anymore. She's been planing this for a few days now, it was for her own good. She walked towards the gate, nearly there.

 Once she's passed the gate an hours walk straight she'll hit the marker where she hid a bike with some gas and her weapons. She got to the gate and cursed herself, She didn't account for the shift changes. As she got closer to the gate she could see Glenn Climbing down the guard post, she quickens her pace hoping that he'll miss her.

'Almost there'

"Dex?" Shit. 

"Howdy, Glenn." She put up a fake smile and reduced any suspicious actions. Glenn looked at her and he saw she had her bag on her shoulders.

"Where are you going? I thought the supply runners already went out this morning?" 

"Oh the did but I figured if we're gonna stay here for good best survey the vicinity. Ya never know when you'll need an outside hiding spot." She explained hoping he'd fall for the bullshit story so that she can be on her way out of here. 

Glenn nodded at her "Alright, you know the rules to be back by sundown." She nodded and was about to walk off but stopped. She marched up to Glenn and brought him into a tight hug. His eyebrows shot up, surprised by the sudden affection. 

"Wow! D, what's with the sudden affection? Where did you get the alcohol from this time?" he asked her while hugging back, she laughed and shook her head.

"Nah, I just needed a hug. ya know you give the best hugs right?" She said as she pulled away from the hug. 

He smiled brightly, "Well, then I guess Rick has some hugging competition, huh?"

"Sure, if that's what keeps your ego. I'll catch you later, okay?" He nodded in response and walked off. 

She sighed heavy knowing that she won't be able to see her best friend in a long while. She continued her descent to the gate. She walked over the threshold of the camp, she looked back one more time. She nodded at the guards and started a slow jog towards her bike. 

After an hour she got to her bike, as she got on and everything was strapped on the supply team drove by. She froze, she knew Rick was in that car, she stood still until the car was out of sight. She rolled the bike on to the road and looked back one last time before sighing and driving off onto a new adventure.

_________________________________________________________________________

Hours passed it became nightfall and she had a feeling that it might pass once again, as she passed the sign saying 'Welcome to New York'. She pulled over off the road, she looked along the road for any walkers or humans, it was empty.