Chapter 3: Zumani

Today was not Dexter's day. She started off the day being rudely awakened by a snake next to her face. Her bike, food and water supplies were stolen from her and now she's running from a huge zombie horde. Life is so fucking fantastic right now she thought sarcastically as she sprinted towards a town up ahead of the horde. 

There were two more guys on her heels while she was running but she paid them no mind because at this moment it's safe everyone for themselves. As she got closer to to the town she could see a group of people on the road. As she got closer she could see they looked exhausted, so out of the bottom of her heart she decided to warn them. 

"Y'all are gonna want to skedaddle!" she yelled as she ran up to them. Their heads shot up and looked in her direction. Their eyes grew as they saw the scene behind her, as she grew closer the started to grab their shit from the ground. She passed them then they started to follow, she ran into a random building and they followed her. 

Dexter stood there panting like a dog trying to catch her breath. She heard screaming, a gunshot and then the door slamming shut. She bent over and put her hands on her knees trying to focus on her breath.

"Everybody alright?" a feminine voice asked, Dexter frown still breathing heavily 'that voices... I can't be...'  She looked up and saw, saying she was shocked was an understatement. Before her stood Roberta Warren and Steven 'Doc' Beck. She lets out a breathy laugh as she scanned the room. Her eyes grew even more when she saw 10k standing off to the side.

"Well, I'll be damned. Roberta Warren. Doc. What are you folks doing in Nebraska? and with 10k no less." she said still panting.

Warren looked her way and chuckled seeing the Grimes girl laughing near her, still alive and well. Dexter stood up from her bent position and instantly regretted it. Her lack of food and water started to get to her. She started to sway and then she blacked out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dex!" Warren ran to the collapsed girl. Doc followed right after, he took her head in his hands and examined her then took her pulse.

"I think she just collapsed from lack of water. I mean she looked like she ran for a bit." He stated, 

"So she's going to be okay?" 10k asked from behind him, Doc nodded.

"Yeah, she'll be fine just need some water." 10k nodded staring at her, he felt like this was all a dream. That she wasn't here. Warren looked at the guy that they saved, 

"How long has she been running?" He shrugged his shoulders, 

"I don't know. She was running before me and my buddy got caught in it and that was almost more than a mile ago." Warren looked at 10k and remembered what she said.

"10k, how do you know her?" 

"I first saw her in the bar at that Fu-Bar place. Then she was next to me in that shooting competition," he replied sitting down, this made Doc realize.

"Oh! is she the girl you were flirting with?" He asked 10k, who then looked down a bit trying to hide his blush and nodded. Cassandra looked at him noticing the blush.

"Was she also the girl you went to helped." Another shy nod came from her. "the same one that kissed you then drove off." he nodded again. Doc laughed at the scene in front of him. 

"Damn 10k, you barely said a few words to the girl and you're already making out with her. And it's Dexter too. You must have said the right words." Doc teased him before patting him on the shoulder. Warren sat down next to Dexter and put her head on her lap, glad she is safe.