Chapter 4: Deer Hunt

It's been almost 2 weeks after the morgue fiasco, everything seemed calm to Dexter. She felt the familiarity of being in a group again while trudging threw the woods but this time it felt different. Last time she was in a wooded area with more people they were on their way to a false sanctuary.

Dexter was also a bit on edge, She was just waiting for Doc and Warren to mention the mental break down that happened there. Quite frankly it's not something she can forget. She remembers it every time she goes to sleep, every time she closes her eyes.

On the better side of the note in these few days, she got closer to some of the group members. She values Cassandra's and 10k's company. She figured it's because they were close to her age. She also didn't realise how much she missed Doc and Warren in her lone travels. Murphy... She's still trying to warm up to him and vice versa.

Dexter was walking far ahead of the group as she scanned the area for anything. She was looking for any sign of an animal. She knew the food supply is low and they were all hungry. Dexter figured if she can find a deer or some rabbits then they could at least go to sleep with full stomachs tonight. 

Her eyes danced over the bushes and tree trunks on high alert. In the distance, she caught movement after several minutes of looking. She brought up her gun and looked threw the scope in that direction. Then she saw it a stag, small but it was something. 

She observed it. It didn't know she was there, At this moment she was glad that Daryl took her hunting with him. It taught her to step lightly in forest areas. The deer bent down and ate some grass. Dexter went down in a crouch and slowly inched a little bit forward to get a better angle. She sat covered in a bush while gently lifting her gun again

Dexter adjusted her gun in her shoulder and breathed. She recited Daryl's motto, 

'Breath in, aim and shoot at exhale.'

Her finger was on the trigger. She squeezes it...

"Can we take a break? I'm getting tired." 

There it was again, that whine. The deer heard hit and moved, and the bullet hit the tree behind it. The bullet spooked the deer and it ran off. 

Dexter shot up from the bush and spun around glaring at Murphy. When she shot up she didn't know how close the group was. So ironically she was right behind Murphy. The group turn into her direction with guns ready.

"Murphy, if you weren't so important I would kill you right where you stand." She muttered fiercely. Murphy looked at her and rolled his eyes,  the rest of the group stopped and looked their way.

"What did I do this time?" He asked annoyed, Dexter gestured behind her. 

"Well your big mouth scared away the first deer in I don't know how many acres of forest"

"So?" he asked while crossing his arms, before Dexter could do anything to him Warren saw the trouble and walked closer. 

"Whoa, Dex what's going on?" Dexter turned to her and shook her head.

"He's insufferable." form behind Murphy, Cassandra piped up while she sat down on a log.

"You only discovered that now?" Dexter shook her head and focused on Warren. 

"Before he came and whined like a little child. I saw a deer, I was gonna shoot it but Murphy came and distracted me and helped scare off the deer." As she finished Warren turned to Murphy and sighed. 

"You think it's worth it?" Warren asked then Dexter looked her in the eyes.

"Roberta I know we are low on food. That deer can last us at least 2 days and I reckon were are about 2 days from any town." Warren nodded and looked up at the sun.