Chapter 5: Sisters of Mercy

After the deer hunt, Dexter and 10k stayed closer by each other. The last few days were in some words different. The encountered a Nuclear Plant that they helped shut down. The mission resulted in two death relating to the plant and one trying to help with plan b.

Now they were in some underground bunker that Citizen Z directed them to. He claimed that there was someone that can help along with supplies and water that they could take.

"Would you look at who finally decided to show up," Dexter said as the group reunites with Addy and Mack in a bunker. 

"Dex!" Addy exclaimed and pulled her into a tight embrace. dexter let out a small chuckle before pulling back from the hug 

"Howdy firecracker. How you been?"

"it's the apocalypse what you want me to say that everything is fine and dandy?" Addy stated 

"I guess not." Dexter laughed and moved on to Mack and gave in a hug which he returned.

"Good to see you're not dead," Mack said as he's pulled into an embrace.

"Can't kill the unkillable, my friend."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The group walked out of the room in search of supplies but Dexter stayed back. She had to know something. She had to ask him to do to this for her.

"So you're the Dexter I heard about?" asked Citizen Z as they saw him on the screen. Dexter's eyes narrowed in suspicion

"What's it to you?" She asked defensively, Citizen Z threw his hands up in the air showing a sign of surrender.

"I meant no offence or something. It's just that I've heard some chatter in the D.C. area about you," he informed her 

"Ah, the old stomping grounds. Everything waterfall over there?" she asked with a sense of guilt, He nodded vigorously. 

"Affirmative. Nothing has happened yet." dexter nodded looking at the ground and then to the door.

"Hey, CZ. Do you mind keeping an eye on them? You know just in case they might need me or something..." Citizen Z nodded and she felt relief wash over her. 

"Sure, it's not like I have anything else to do alone with all these satellites," Dexter nodded in appreciation and walked off to join the group. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They were on the road when they drove pass walkers no older than thirteen walking along the highway. At a point, Addy forced them to stop so that they can mercy one. She zoned out as it approached her but Warren got out and snapped her out of her daze.

Dexter squinted her eyes at Addy sensing something off, but she ignored. Later they stopped to find a living boy trying to make his way to Salt Lake City in search of his dad but Warren convinced him to guide them to his camp so that they can help.

When they got to the place there was a gate but no guards, this put Dexter on edge. Warren sent Mack out but it was a mistake. Warren spoke a few words with them.

"This place seems like it could be nice... I hate it already," stated Dexter as the boy, Sam, got out to help The group get inside the place. Addy looked at her scolding her, 

"Come on, Dex. Maybe this place can be a nice break from the apocalypse." Dexter shook her head at Addy's innocence. 

"Addy, my dear. Last time I came across a place like this with friendly people they turned out to be cannibals who trapped their new arrivals in train cars before slaughtering them like cattle." Dexter stated casually, the rest who as there to listen stared at her with slightly wide eyes except Addy. When they first met they did a lot of sharing and talking and that was one of the few this that Dexter told her.