1

What you're about to read is my story.
It's not a pleasant story, not a nice one, and not a happy one.
And most certainly is not the only one you'll hear about those years.
It's not even one that is important to hear. It's just mine.

My name is Jocelyn Vance and back then, same as now, my name was of no significance: the Vances had already been a strong magical family for many years before I was born, and it was no secret that we had muggles in our family tree. I was a seventeen years old half-blood: worse than the elitist pure-bloods that were in command, but a lot better off than most people during those dark years.

My parents had both died in a tragic accident in my muggle mother's car when I was very young. Their names were Alexander and Diane.
I was raised by my father's older brother, Oberon Vance. My uncle was a very skilled wizard who loved me like a daughter and whom I loved, I'm ashamed to say, more than my actual father. Sad, but not at all the worst situation: after all I still grew up in a family that loved me unconditionally.

I was sorted in Ravenclaw at Hogwarts in the same year as the golden trio, like many others, and knew all the characters you've read about in the history books with various degrees of affection.

I fought in the war against Voldemort and his Death Eaters like many, many, oh so many before me, and I wasn't fundamental to the resolution of the war like many, many, many others.

What happened to me, happened to a thousand others. And yet others have worse stories and some have better ones.

This is just mine.

Hi everybody!
Just wanted to say a few quick things about the story:

1 - it is a love story between Jocelyn and Neville and, as with almost every fanfic, there will be some small changes to the original plot to accomodate an extra character but I'll try to keep it as close as possible; I'll be getting information from both the books and the movies and sometimes I will prefer one source over the other

2 - since I wanted it to be a 'plausible' story of love and resistance during the war against Voldemort, I must warn you that it is possible Neville won't be in every single chapter (especially in the beginning) and even if he is, it's more than likely that some chapters will be more focused on Neville and Jocelyn working together for DA (Dumbledore's Army), instead of furthering their love interest.

Ok, that was it! I hope you enjoy the story, I'll try to post every week on a fixed day and I only ask that whatever comment, question, or opinion you want to express, you do it while remaining respectful.
Thank you!