14

Winter was very harsh. It hadn't been that bad for at least fifteen years, in my uncle's opinion.

Our letters had been more frequent after my visit to Aberforth. I knew he would tell my uncle everything we had said, but I felt compelled to write to him more often anyway: I imagined being far away from someone you love and knowing they were in danger, was terrible enough without me being negligent with our correspondence.

I had been going to Greenhouse 3 more and more lately. At the beginning of the year Professor Sprout had reserved it for the most rare and delicate plants, which meant only students frequenting the last two years were allowed in; which also meant it was a warm quiet place that was deserted the majority of the time.

I went there to do homework or read so that I wouldn't be nervous about meeting Sasha and Jade, or even just to relax and escape the craziness that was going on inside the castle.

That week I had been to the infirmary twice. And a lot of other times I just healed myself.
Amycus would hurt me every chance he got: I was called a lot more often to practice the Cruciatus than others and when I refused, he would either torture me himself or let someone else do it.
He didn't even need me to provoke him, he was perfectly capable of cutting me while I was sitting still in my seat just because he wanted to.
Which he did.
A lot.

Seamus, Neville and even Sasha began looking at me with worry everytime i stepped in the classroom.
My first impression that Carrow didn't like me was more than confirmed: I was sure he hated me.
And he didn't care to mask it.

He would try to restrain himself sometimes, I could see his eyes burning as if from an internal fight everytime just before he hit me; but his hate for me would always win.

It was also pretty evident he was the one that sent Pansy and her gaggle of fairy brained friends after me.

I caressed the Robin Tree's bark.
It must have had something to do with my uncle.
I had decided not to talk about it with anyone: it wouldn't have made a difference.

I sighed, looking at the sky growing lilac.
It was almost time.
I had to go meet the others. I took the soft blanket I had with me and wrapped it around the Robin tree's roots; it was supposed to snow again and I didn't want it to be cold.
A couple of its willow like branches descended on my head and stroked it

"You're a softie"

I smiled, recognizing the voice "What?"

Neville came forward, his arms crossed in front of him and a mocking smile plastered on his face
"The tree pulls your hair and you still worry about it being cold"

"It's so young!" I patted the black bark again "It hasn't heard its mother sing in a very long time"

Neville nodded seriously "Softie"

"Are you making fun of me for caring about our plant? ...cause it's not going to work"
The tree wrapped its branches around my long hair, gently but decisive. It really had a thing for hair.

"No" Neville tried not to laugh but came forward and delicately forced the tree to let my hair go "I think it's cool"

"I'm a cool person" I reminded him

"Are you nervous?"
His question was innocent but the implications took me back to what we were going to do in just half an hour. His face was serious and without emotion as he districated the last of my hair.

"You're not" I sat down on the pillows we had brought so we wouldn't be uncomfortable on the ground while tending to the roots
"I don't like this Neville... I know you want to do it now while we can still reach them, but we're not prepared enough. We don't have a place to store it safely, we don't know how to get it out of the school..."